Author Topic: Apparently The Only People Allowed To "Stand Their Ground" Are Men  (Read 8370 times)

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
Re: Apparently The Only People Allowed To "Stand Their Ground" Are Men
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2012, 11:53:56 am »
Oh, and that kid who got raped by totally scored it with the hot science teacher?  So lucky.

Yeah! Totally lucky. That’s like every teen’s fantasy! ::)

The one time that most of us have seen the Stand Your Ground law upheld through court was this case
http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-01-05/news/30595165_1_face-murder-charges-killing-bus
And that was because the victim tried to avoid the situation at all costs till there was no escape left.

Like other people have said, I was under the impression that the whole point of Stand Your Ground was to make it so folks weren’t required to exhaust every avenue of escape. You know, to let the folks “stand their ground.”

In any case, if she did need to get her cell phone, then she needed to go back inside to get it. And if she truly feared for her life, it makes sense that she would at least want to be armed “just in case.” So that she went back inside with a gun doesn’t seem to me to really say anything about her guilt or innocence.

Yeah, I suppose going to a neighbor instead to use their phone is kinda out of the question when you have a cell phone in a potentially dangerous area
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2012, 01:55:52 pm »
And I suppose everyone thinks so logically when they're scared for their life.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2012, 02:21:21 pm »

It does not matter if she was scared for her life.  As I understand it she went to his house and was not suppose to be there.   That right there means he is the only one that would be covered by castle doctrine. 
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2012, 02:40:19 pm »
It does not matter if she was scared for her life.  As I understand it she went to his house and was not suppose to be there.   That right there means he is the only one that would be covered by castle doctrine.

It was her house too. She had every right to be there.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2012, 03:49:06 pm »
Okay, I thought she had been barred from being there.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline DasFuchs

• God
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2012, 05:13:59 pm »

I admit people don't think clearly, but that seems like it's a bit extreme to believe in this case.
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2012, 05:29:37 pm »
Yeah, I suppose going to a neighbor instead to use their phone is kinda out of the question when you have a cell phone in a potentially dangerous area

That assumes she feels safe and comfortable asking her neighbors for help and that the thought crossed her mind.

I know that in this situation, Marissa Alexander explicitly said she was thinking about the phone specifically to make a phone call, but I would like to mention that another reason to retrieve a cell phone is that because it just might contain sensitive information. Especially if it is a smart phone with who knows what kind of personal documents, it could have a lot of stuff you do not want an angry, potentially dangerous ex to have access to.
-A Pen Name

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2012, 05:41:17 pm »

I admit people don't think clearly, but that seems like it's a bit extreme to believe in this case.

Not extreme at all.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2012, 06:42:15 pm »
Her husband threatened to kill her and charged her. IMO, even if she had shot him, that would have been justified. I'd shoot someone who screamed that they'd kill me and began to run at me.

Offline DasFuchs

• God
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2012, 08:17:44 pm »
Not according to the report

From page one;
"[The husband] moved to the the living room where his children were. Subsequently, the Defendant emerged from the master bedroom and went into the garage where her car was parked. The Defendant testified she was trying to leave the residence but could not get the garage door to open. (The Court notes that despite the Defendant's claim she was in fear for her life at that point and trying to get away from [him] she did not leave the house through the back or front doors which were unobstructed. Additionally, the garage door had worked previously and there was no evidence presented to support her claim.) The Defendant then retrieved her firearm from the glove box of the vehicle. The Defendant returned to the kitchen with the firearm in her hand and pointed it in the direction of all three victims....The Defendant shot at [her husband], nearly missing his head. The bullet traveled through the kitchen wall and into the ceiling in the living room. The Victims fled the residence and immediately called 911. The Defendant stayed in the marital home and at no point called 911."

Which is why I highly doubt she went back to get her phone for anything as well