Author Topic: Student suspended for eating energy mints  (Read 4358 times)

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
Re: Student suspended for eating energy mints
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 12:03:41 pm »
There is an exception for asthma and any other kind of medication you might need in an emergency (like an Epipen). I had to fill out a couple of forms when I was in school to carry it, same with my brother and his inhaler. Not sure about things like diabetes medication - I know a girl had an insulin pump while at school but I don't know what sorts of forms she had to fill out.

This certainly proves the legitimacy of homeschooling.

I don't want my kids subjected to this kind of idiocy.

Yes, because all public schools are shitholes and all homeschooling is perfect. Goddamn, I hated my public school and yet I have way too many homeschooled friends (both secular and religious) to know that homeschooling is not a good idea.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 12:26:06 pm »
I was allowed to carry asprin

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 01:49:12 pm »
There is an exception for asthma and any other kind of medication you might need in an emergency (like an Epipen). I had to fill out a couple of forms when I was in school to carry it, same with my brother and his inhaler. Not sure about things like diabetes medication - I know a girl had an insulin pump while at school but I don't know what sorts of forms she had to fill out.

Yes, because all public schools are shitholes and all homeschooling is perfect. Goddamn, I hated my public school and yet I have way too many homeschooled friends (both secular and religious) to know that homeschooling is not a good idea.
I would think a pump wouldn't be an issue since it is always physically attached, but there would probably be a shit-fit over old-school needles due to the inherent risks involved with proper disposal etc. The glucometer used to to check blood sugar levels would probably also be a problem since it has a needle and draws blood, but not being an actual drug, merely a medical device it could be a grey area.

Of course in some of these places your friend would probably be suspended for having a snack in class to keep from passing out.  >:(

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 02:51:19 pm »

While I'm pro-homeschooling myself, most of it is done through fundamentalist means due to the fact that fundies don't want their children to learn facts that oppose their beliefs.

Public schooling is still a necessity, and it's still good.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 02:54:05 pm »
Of course in some of these places your friend would probably be suspended for having a snack in class to keep from passing out.  >:(

That is definitely true.  One of my students has a condition that requires him to eat a snack about every two hours or he gets sick.  He transferred to our school partially because his previous school threatened to put him in detention if he didn't stop bringing food to class.  Though that was a private school, and not all of the same laws apply.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline TheReasonator

• Bishop
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 11:38:46 am »

While I'm pro-homeschooling myself, most of it is done through fundamentalist means due to the fact that fundies don't want their children to learn facts that oppose their beliefs.

Public schooling is still a necessity, and it's still good.

So some people misuse it. I would do a better job than public schools at exposing my children to other beliefs. I would teach my children critical thinking, something public schools tend to neglect. When I took a logic and critical thinking course in college it struck me as odd that they don't make that mandatory in elementary school. It's really, really simple and could be taught that young. Doing that we could raise the IQ of the entire country, and put an end to all the nonsense in public policy.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 06:02:21 pm »
*snickers*

Offline Paimun

• Captain Puntastic
  • Bishop
  • I'm a dirty hippie
    • COAT HANGER ABORTIONS THE MUSICAL
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 06:12:49 pm »
And it would cause world peace, solve hunger, end the religious wars in the Middle East, stop the polar ice caps from melting, and change North Korea into a democracy overnight.

Saturn500

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 08:33:19 pm »
Not to mention getting Megaman Legends 3 uncancelled!

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 08:36:27 pm »
Not to mention cure all diseases known to man (and several known to monkeys)

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2012, 06:34:41 pm »
Way back when, it was easy to coordinate annoying, if not downright subversive, classroom incidents.  Everyone drop a book at the same time.  Everyone hum at the same time.  Regarding this rule, how about everyone pop a Junior Mint simultaneously?   If you were feeling frisky you could also have everyone drop his or her head to the desktop with a "thunk," as if you'd passed out. 
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2012, 06:08:24 am »
While I consider the whole suspending him because they thought is was drugs when it wasn't is stupid. I came from a school where eating during class or between classes would get you into trouble as it was against school rules. There were specific times for lunch breaks and such when eating was allowed. Eating in class wouldn't give you a suspension though, probably just detention. Hence I am somewhat ambivalent about the case.

It's still extremely stupid, no matter how you look at it.  Of course, when I was in school, getting in trouble meant you actually did something wrong (at least for all but one teacher I've ever had).