Author Topic: And everyone here says, No Shit Sherlock.  (Read 4665 times)

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
Re: And everyone here says, No Shit Sherlock.
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 03:15:33 pm »
I wonder if it isn't that stupid people turn to religion, but being brainwashed into religion, especially at a young age, causes sometimes permanent damage to the mind.

I think it's a mix of both. There are a lot of intelligent and accomplished people who believe the dumbest shit, like Earth being a few thousand years old. Bill Maher vented about them once. The only reason this would happen is because you were indoctrinated with religious crap at a really early age and it becomes so much a part of you that you can't give it up. And then of course there's lots of dumbass conversion stories too.  It's really a mix of both

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 03:56:37 pm »
... There are a lot of intelligent and accomplished people who believe the dumbest shit, like ... Bill Maher ...

Apologies for the snipping, but as for "intelligent and accomplished people ... believ[ing] the dumbest shit", isn't Maher an anti-vaxxer?
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 05:24:26 pm »
Everyone has an idiot button.  Everyone.  I think even Penn and Tiller covered that (which is funny because one of them has an idiot button, too.  I just forget which, off the top of my head.)

I do like the part where someone mentioned (I think it was Lithp?) that this deals with groups, not individuals.  Because I can understand there being a larger percentage of atheists that are smart than a percentage of, say, Christians.

As far as individuals go, I've met some atheists who took the label simply because they want to proclaim that they're smarter than everyone else.

Or as we should probably start calling them, "chageneists"
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 10:05:40 pm »
... There are a lot of intelligent and accomplished people who believe the dumbest shit, like ... Bill Maher ...

Apologies for the snipping, but as for "intelligent and accomplished people ... believ[ing] the dumbest shit", isn't Maher an anti-vaxxer?
Even if he is, he's still smarter than, say, Bill O'Reilly or Rick Santorum. So, yeah.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 10:11:38 pm »
Even I'm smarter than them and I'm an idiot.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 12:15:26 am »
Guys.

Listen to Myers.  He is wise.  If you want to feel you're smarter than religious people, then go ahead.  Base it on the fact that you don't believe in sky fairies or whatever the fuck.  However, don't base it on studies like this.

You can probably make a case that atheists are more likely to be educated.  There are likely a number of reasons for this.  Many religious groups frown on secular learning.  Educated people are more likely to encounter alternate viewpoints that make them challenge their beliefs.

This may have some bearing on IQ tests, too.  People with access to higher education do better on IQ tests than people without said access.  However, it's important to understand that these people are not actually smarter than the others.  They just have a background that lets them do better on IQ tests.  This is what makes IQ tests such a terrible gauge of intelligence as an intrinsic quality.

We aren't smarter than religious people.  Not in the sense that most people mean by smart.  We're just better trained to question and find answers.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 12:24:40 am »
The whole point behind the first IQ test wasn't even to measure intelligence, it was to predict how well children would perform in schools. After it came out, the eugenics movements and governments corrupted its purpose and used it as a means to prevent immigration and diagnose people as "retarded" and have them sterilized. For some reason, the idea that IQ tests measure intelligence has never really gone away.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 12:28:07 am »

Yeah, being smarter than Bill O'Reilly and Rick Santorum isn't really much of an accomplishment. It's like beating a dyslexic kid at a spelling bee, or Seattle's sports teams at anything.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 01:05:29 am »

Yeah, being smarter than Bill O'Reilly and Rick Santorum isn't really much of an accomplishment. It's like beating a dyslexic kid at a spelling bee, or Seattle's sports teams at anything.

I don't think the dyslexic kid is a fair comparison.  The dyslexic kid's handicaps are there at no fault to him, and so he has to try harder than other people to win (but it would be possible, with enough effort, for him to overcome his handicaps and win the spelling bee through sheer determination)

Billo and such.... their problem isn't just their ignorance.  It's the fact that they wallow in it.  They're literally too stupid to admit that they're stupid.  And that stupidity IS their choice.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 01:48:26 am »
As far as individuals go, I've met some atheists who took the label simply because they want to proclaim that they're smarter than everyone else.

These people are exactly who I had in mind. Whenever I call out other atheists for doing dumb shit, they inevitably seem to go, "Why are you attacking ME? I know science & logic! I can't be wrong, or biased about anything! That's the whole POINT of being an atheist!"

Christ, is this study really such a big deal? I kind of interpreted it as just another in the long line of "Atheists are unhappy & unliked!"/"Yeah, well, we're SMARTER!" media parade.

I'm also not entirely sure why we seem to want to toss out the concept of IQ wholesale just because it can, & has been, misapplied.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 07:38:47 pm »
The whole point behind the first IQ test wasn't even to measure intelligence, it was to predict how well children would perform in schools. After it came out, the eugenics movements and governments corrupted its purpose and used it as a means to prevent immigration and diagnose people as "retarded" and have them sterilized. For some reason, the idea that IQ tests measure intelligence has never really gone away.

One can, quite reasonably, question how much IQ has to do with intelligence, however one chooses to define it. It strikes me as odd, though, to say that something called the intelligence quotient is not meant to be a measure of intelligence. They probably should've chosen a different name, if they wanted to avoid that confusion.
Σא

Offline Undecided

• The boring one.
  • Bishop
  • Amateur Obfuscator
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2013, 12:36:39 am »
I feel like the title of the article is misleading. It should be something like "religious people less intelligent people than atheists, but only because people with more shit to deal with are less likely to be intelligent (or perhaps vice versa)," which is a more interesting finding.
You mad, you lose.

People do not like to think. If one thinks, one must reach conclusions. Conclusions are not always pleasant.
Helen Keller
Le doute n'est pas une condition agréable, mais la certitude est absurde.
Voltaire

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2013, 02:52:21 am »
Finally read the article, now understand what that means. Honestly, the whole thing should be rewritten from the ground up, it gives a limited, sensationalist view of the study. I actually compare it to the article about the "angel priest" that they also ran.