Author Topic: Former Microsoft Executive Tapped To Take Over Healthcare.gov  (Read 1687 times)

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
Former Microsoft Executive Tapped To Take Over Healthcare.gov
« on: December 17, 2013, 10:29:18 pm »
http://www.nbcnews.com/health/former-microsoft-exec-take-over-healthcare-gov-2D11761730

Former Microsoft executive Kurt DelBene will take over operations of the troubled HealthCare.gov website, the Obama administration said Tuesday.

DelBene, formerly president of the Microsoft Office Division, will start work on Wednesday and stay on for at least six months, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said in a blog post.

“Kurt has proven expertise in heading large, complex technology teams and in product development. He will be a tremendous asset in our work,” Sebelius said.

DelBene will replace Jeffrey Zients, who stepped in to lead the team fixing the health insurance website when it crashed and burned on its Oct. 1 launch. Zients is set to take over next month as senior White House economic adviser from Gene Sperling.

“Kurt will work closely with me, the White House, and the teams and senior leadership in place at HHS and CMS to see this project through its next important phase as the CMS team continues to build on their initial progress,” Sebelius blogged.

“First, Kurt will provide management expertise, operations oversight, and critical advice on additional enrollment channels, field operations, marketing and communications. The President and I believe strongly in having one person, with strong experience and expertise in management and execution, who is thinking 24/7 about HealthCare.gov,” she added.

DelBene is the husband of Congresswoman Suzan DelBene, who represents the first congressional district of Washington state. He was forced into retirement last July during a Microsoft reorganization. He'll donate his salary back to the treasury.

“Kurt is a talented and capable executive, with a track record of successfully managing complex large-scale technology projects,” Microsoft founder Bill Gates said in a statement released by the White House.

“Working with Kurt over many years, I know him to be a passionate advocate for using technology to solve difficult problems at scale. He brings deep expertise as a manager and engineer to his new responsibilities. I’m certain he’ll make an important positive contribution in his new role with HHS.”

The Obama administration has been castigated for the bungled debut of the health insurance exchanges, which were the centerpiece of health reform. They're supposed to be a way for tens of millions of people to buy insurance, many with hefty federal subsidies. But fewer than a million people have managed to sign up because of technical troubles.

Zients led an all-out repair effort that included a “punch list” of software fixes and the addition of new servers to help the overwhelmed website get up and working.

Federal government officials have admitted they rushed through testing of the site too fast and tried to do too much, too soon, to make an Oct. 1 launch. They’ve extended several deadlines, giving people until Dec. 31 to pay their first premiums for coverage starting the very next day, and asked insurance companies to extend other deadlines, too.

Obama met executives from leading technology companies like Google and Apple Tuesday to discuss ways to improve the functioning of HealthCare.gov. They included Apple's CEO Tim Cook, Twitter's Dick Costolo, Google's Eric Schmidt and Faceook's Sheryl Sandberg, among others, the White House said.

I actually know this guy. I worked on his wife's campaign last summer, and his son Zach is a close friend of my brother. Kinda weird seeing his name in a bloody CNN news ticker.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: Former Microsoft Executive Tapped To Take Over Healthcare.gov
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 10:46:28 pm »
Think he'll do any good, or is he just the new head guy for the trainwreck, Mesh?
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 11:11:28 pm »
Think he'll do any good, or is he just the new head guy for the trainwreck, Mesh?

I think he'll do as good a job as anyone could. I imagine he'll bring in a lot of ex-Microsoft talent to do the actual technical work, while he'll be the manager. A software executive is pretty much exactly the kind of guy you want for this job - and, frankly, the kind of guy Obama should have hired months ago. There might be someone better qualified at Apple or Google or Facebook, but I imagine Obama also wanted someone politically reliable. So he figured the husband of a Democratic congresswoman would do nicely.

Of course, what this REALLY is is the latest prong of a vast conspiracy for Washington State to take over the country. We've got Patty Murray ready to take over the Senate, Kurt DelBene running healthcare.gov, and our former governor Gary Locke just got back from being our ambassador to China - which, combined with being a three-term governor, gives him the perfect resume to run for the White House.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 09:18:05 am »
Didn't Washington state give us Nirvana?  We could do a lot worse, if that's true.  It could be someone from Florida.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 12:39:36 pm »
Hey! :'(

jk....yeah, if a repub was prez and they had passed ACA, they'd have put Rick Scott in charge. :P
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 12:41:31 pm by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 12:41:42 pm »
Er, someone from Florida that isn't also on here.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.