Author Topic: Gods of Egypt  (Read 4232 times)

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
Re: Gods of Egypt
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 06:02:01 pm »
It's okay to have an actor of the wrong ethenticity playing a role just as long as he's not white?

When that ethnicity is much closer to being the right ethnicity than white is?  You betcha.

And what ethnicity would GODS be exactly??

Seriosuly, this is just kind of stupid. I'm out.  There's far more important shit to be getting annoyed about than the casting of non-human characters in what will llikely be a movie everyone will forget ever existed after a couple of months.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 06:05:00 pm by Katsuro »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 06:03:43 pm »
Or Johnny Depp being cast as a native American when he's as white as I am.
If it's any consolation, The Lone Ranger flopped hard.  So did a lot of other movies that performed whitewashing.  Cloud Atlas, The Last Airbender, Forty-Seven Ronin, the list goes on and on.  I think this is a sign that audiences aren't putting up with this anymore.

That definitely is consolation, yes.

Oh god The Last Airbender.  So many problems, so little time.  And I'm not even talking about the social issues with that movie yet.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 06:05:27 pm »
I'm curious to see who they would have cast as Ammut... That could be interesting.

A thought:  Don Cheadle as Anubis. Yes or no?
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 06:06:15 pm »
As near as I can tell, yes.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 08:53:01 pm »
I, quite frankly, am offended that they are whitewashing this and did not cast a real human/jackel hybrid as Anubis.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 10:18:08 pm »

And this is why it got its own thread.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Mantorok

• Apprentice
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 10:34:52 pm »
Set is white-skinned and red-haired (he's also associated with foreign lands). So the only reason Gerard Butler shouldn't play Set is because he's not ginger enough.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 06:53:46 am »
I sure am seeing a lot of white guys playing Egyptian Gods.

I just hope that the actual Egyptian people in the movie are dark-skinned.  I don't mind people playing with race of gods (see also: Heimdall).

But...some diversity in that pantheon would be nice!
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2014, 08:11:10 am »
Can this guy play Ra again?

Ironbite-tehehehehe

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2014, 01:26:59 am »
I sure am seeing a lot of white guys playing Egyptian Gods.

I just hope that the actual Egyptian people in the movie are dark-skinned.  I don't mind people playing with race of gods (see also: Heimdall).

But...some diversity in that pantheon would be nice!

Well, the lone actress that I'm thinking is either the main role or a priestess or something looks white to me and she's also a relative unknown actress.

And I saw that reference, Ironbite

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2014, 02:53:31 pm »
I, quite frankly, am offended that they are whitewashing this and did not cast a real human/jackel hybrid as Anubis.

Maybe it'll be CGI.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2014, 05:24:38 pm »

Maybe it'll be CGI.

We can only hope it's good-looking CGI and not, say, first Resident Evil, or SyFy movie bad.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."