Author Topic: Re-Education camps for "troubled teens"  (Read 6555 times)

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
Re: Re-Education camps for "troubled teens"
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 08:40:51 am »
In most first world countries these places are considered illegal.
Of course the bad news is that many operate in legally lax 3rd world countries and kidnap the kids at the parents request and ship them over the border to those countries where those kinds of places are effectively legal. The abuse those children suffer is shocking, not to mention the often deplorable condition of the schools themselves.

The worst has to be how they break the kids down psychologically and use the other broken kids to enforce and assist in the breaking of any new comers.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 09:06:40 am »
In most first world countries these places are considered illegal.
Of course the bad news is that many operate in legally lax 3rd world countries and kidnap the kids at the parents request and ship them over the border to those countries where those kinds of places are effectively legal.
Or in America's case, Utah and Montana.

In any case, this needs to be illegal. The idea that a legal guardian can just hand their kid off to any private organisation they want is utterly absurd. Yes, such a thing has it's place, as there do exist private rehab and mental health facilities that are genuine. However, the idea that there's no oversight whatsoever, to the point where the kid can even be taken over the boarder against their will, is just fucked beyond belief. Then again, this sort of thing is a multi-million dollar industry based on milking money out of ignorant rich parents, and well all know that where there's rich corporations, there are lobbyists, so no doubt it's just a big fucking coincidence that all attempts to regulate this sort of thing have petered out.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 09:46:48 am »
The sad thing is that these kinds of places are likely breeding grounds for future suicides and/or serial killers.  You try to break the wrong person, don't be surprised when you start finding your coworkers, and likely many innocent bystanders, killed in some grisly fashion.  You breed fear and self-loathing, its unfortunately inevitable, most likely.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2014, 10:38:21 am »
The sad thing is that these kinds of places are likely breeding grounds for future suicides and/or serial killers.  You try to break the wrong person, don't be surprised when you start finding your coworkers, and likely many innocent bystanders, killed in some grisly fashion.  You breed fear and self-loathing, its unfortunately inevitable, most likely.
I'm surprised there hasn't been a case were some former patient ended up taking a gun into one of the camps and just killing the managers.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 10:55:17 am »
I'm surprised there hasn't been a case were some former patient ended up taking a gun into one of the camps and just killing the managers.

Nobody has gotten past killing their parents before they get caught... yet.

Sadly, I'm not even really joking.  :'(

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 07:24:52 pm »

Nobody has gotten past killing their parents before they get caught... yet.

Sadly, I'm not even really joking.  :'(
In someways a big shooting spree would help out in the long run, people might start wondering what goes on in those camps.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 10:14:52 pm »

Despite the idea that any angry, mentally disturbed teenager is a shooter waiting to happen, it's actually not that easy for underage psychopaths to get their hands on guns. Even if they're armed and dangerous, they'd need the patience, intelligence, and resources to get to the camp (often many states away) and commence the killing.

Like Mojo said, it's typical for murderous youths who are angry at their parents to start on the parents, and everything just goes from there. It's not usual for a teen with mental problems to not only hit their breaking point and acquire weapons to kill their parents, but make it a long distance (probably with their parents' car and stolen money) and begin a methodical killing before getting caught/killed, turning themselves in, or committing suicide. Among the kids who are disturbed enough to go on a killing spree, suicide is extremely prevalent.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2014, 12:31:50 am »
The sad thing is that these kinds of places are likely breeding grounds for future suicides and/or serial killers.

Suicides, are pretty likely. Serial Killers, not so much.
You need to understand the level of psychological abuse that is applied to these children. They are broken down to such an extent that acting out violently towards another is not even thought of as an option. Their self worth and confidence is so broken down that they just dont feel they have the power to do anything.

What is also sad is that these kind of places end up creating a Stockholm syndrome effect in the children that complete the course. As s result a lot of "graduates" end up sending their children to places like that as well, repeating the cycle of abuse. The worst thing has to be that these places "work", as in the child comes back eventually and acts exactly how the parents want them to. Not because they have been properly rehabilitated, but because they are so broken and scared that they just cannot go against their parents anymore. This mixed with the absolute zero contact policy while the children are at the facility makes them look really nice, while hiding the truly horrible truth from society.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 01:26:07 am »
The sad thing is that these kinds of places are likely breeding grounds for future suicides and/or serial killers.

You need to understand the level of psychological abuse that is applied to these children. They are broken down to such an extent that acting out violently towards another is not even thought of as an option. Their self worth and confidence is so broken down that they just dont feel they have the power to do anything.

What is also sad is that these kind of places end up creating a Stockholm syndrome effect in the children that complete the course. As s result a lot of "graduates" end up sending their children to places like that as well, repeating the cycle of abuse. The worst thing has to be that these places "work", as in the child comes back eventually and acts exactly how the parents want them to. Not because they have been properly rehabilitated, but because they are so broken and scared that they just cannot go against their parents anymore. This mixed with the absolute zero contact policy while the children are at the facility makes them look really nice, while hiding the truly horrible truth from society.
That would explain the people posting about how amazing there experience was. They seemed so much like bots I figured it was a camp sending in propaganda.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 02:04:24 am »

The other frightening part is that a lot of people would have an "ends justify the means" attitude towards this kind of thing.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2014, 02:12:13 am »
One of these torture cellars is in Indiana. Hephzibah House, I think. It makes me sick that these modern-day concentration camps are legal.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:16:32 am by Solar Pendra »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2014, 03:52:38 pm »
This is one situation where private security contractors would be useful.  Well, that or Jackie Estacado; either way works.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2014, 04:24:02 pm »
Sad thing is, there are a number of people who believe you have no human rights until you turn eighteen.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2014, 04:42:40 pm »
Sad thing is, there are a number of people who believe you have no human rights until you turn eighteen.

Like this civics teacher:

http://notalwayslearning.com/two-rights-make-her-wrong/33333
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2014, 05:43:22 pm »

Those people are complete idiots. 

That notalwayslearning site is so true.  I bet you could come up with a good portion of stupid quotes from self righteous teachers who think the world is their classroom.