Author Topic: Sopa is back  (Read 2982 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Sopa is back
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 05:23:30 pm »
We ought to go to the source and dig out this rot.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 10:53:14 pm »
That would require a Nerf bat to most of Congress.  And every lobbyist.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 08:04:35 am »
That would require a Nerf bat to most of Congress.  And every lobbyist.

And you'd be given a one-way ticket to Guantameno before you even take the first swing  :P

Offline OmniLiquid

• Neonate
  • Already lurked moar.
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 12:26:39 am »
As much as I like the idea of online petitions as a tool for bringing issues to the pres's attention, I have to ask; with this being a matter of agreements between companies rather than of legislation, is there much that can be done by the white house?

I suppose getting public attention to the issue could shame those potentially involved until the public gets distracted, but some of these companies seem shameless. Copyright reform would be nice, but I don't know how to effectively work that out*, and it seems unlikely to get anywhere near enough support** anyway (especially if Obama is the one to bring it up, what with the irrational opposition to him).

*Enlightenment would be welcome
**In the US. I have no idea about what international law currently is or how likely to change it is. Once again, enlightenment would be welcome.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 12:36:09 am »
I'm hoping all this stuff we're witnessing recently with the NSA, the abolishing of Net Neutrality, ect. is just society as whole getting used to a new concept and not something here to stay.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 01:04:16 am »
So, I just came across this post on my tumblr dash.  According to the post, this whole thing is another case of unfounded panic.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 01:21:31 am »
So, I just came across this post on my tumblr dash.  According to the post, this whole thing is another case of unfounded panic.
i hope so.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2014, 02:02:28 pm »
I'm hoping all this stuff we're witnessing recently with the NSA, the abolishing of Net Neutrality, ect. is just society as whole getting used to a new concept and not something here to stay.

History would suggest otherwise, unfortunately. We're headed for a mass-decentralized-surveillance society no matter what laws we pass; the only question is whether or not we will allow human rights to be trampled on because of dirt a surveillance system was able to dig up about someone's past.

Bringing back net neutrality requires political action. I don't see Congress bothering themselves with the idea unless there's huge public support that threatens each representative's re-election.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.