Author Topic: NH GOP to end lunch breaks  (Read 5855 times)

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
Re: NH GOP to end lunch breaks
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 05:42:10 pm »
Wow...that won't backfire at all.

Without this law, these morons really think employers would give their employees lunch hours?  All signs point to no.

Ironbite-cause it wouldn't be profitable.

Wal-Mart already refuses to give you lunch hours unless you specifically go to your employer and beg ask for them.  And you have to do this every day or stop getting lunch breaks.  Even if you work a 16-hour shift.

Sam Walton is rolling in his grave.

Didn't refuse me my lunch break.  Had me clock out to take it but never refused it.

Ironbite-honestly though I've never heard of this.
I would hazard a guess that this is just a B.S. payroll excuse. It's too hard to figure out if an employee is entitled to a lunch based on their shift, so they assume you aren't having one. If you want one, you have to punch out (and back in) since it is not paid time. The reality is that after a certain amount of time (in more progressive places at least) you are legally entitled to time for a meal break so it really isn't a difficult thing to figure it out.

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 06:05:37 pm »
Sometimes when I hear them say "traditional values", when they do shit like this I can't help but wonder if that really means early 1900's when people lived in factories because they could neither afford to live anywhere let alone have the time to spend at home
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 06:10:57 pm »
Even the 1950's factory jobs gave a lunch break.

Offline tempus

• Bishop
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 06:47:44 pm »
Sometimes when I hear them say "traditional values", when they do shit like this I can't help but wonder if that really means early 1900's when people lived in factories because they could neither afford to live anywhere let alone have the time to spend at home

Since some of them are already mumbling about restricting the vote to property owners and rolling back as many civil rights as they can, I'm pretty sure a bunch of them would eagerly step up to the plate to defend that as an alternative to federal- or- state-granted welfare.

In fact, since Paultards regularly come out of the woodwork to defend slavery (after all, don't slave-owners have a vested personal interest in maintaining the health and happiness of their slaves?  'Tis better for productivity, dontcha know...) I'm pretty sure some of them already ARE. 
Congratulations.  You found Ronald Reagan. He’s living in each and every one of you.  Just waiting to gnaw his way out of your chest and skitter off into the ventilation ducts.

--Neckfucker

That shape...that figure...those curves...god damn the weighted companion cube has never looked so good!

--Anonymous

Los Angeles is a city of brick, steel, concrete, and asphalt. There's no room for cows.

--CommanderCoffee

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 06:50:32 pm »
State Rep. J.R. Hoell (R), a supporter of libertarian-leaning Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) for president, told a New Hampshire General Court committee this week that he believes the law is unnecessary because it is in employers’ interest to treat workers well, according to The Concord Monitor.

But if it's in employers' interests to treat workers well, surely the repeal will have no effect and hence is also unnecessary?

The question here is, who shipped industrial-grade idiocy to New Hampshire?
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 08:55:57 pm »

Without this law, these morons really think employers would give their employees lunch hours?  All signs point to no.

Wal-Mart already refuses to give you lunch hours unless you specifically go to your employer and beg ask for them.  And you have to do this every day or stop getting lunch breaks.  Even if you work a 16-hour shift.
Is this somehow legal?

Not in the state where this happened (AL; mandatory minimum of 10 minutes for each 8 hours worked at a time).  Wal-Mart doesn't give a fuck that it's illegal; if no one complains, they'll do it anyway.  After all, it's not like the wage slaves make enough to defend themselves in court...
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 08:58:03 pm »

Is this somehow legal?

Not in the state where this happened (AL; mandatory minimum of 10 minutes for each 8 hours worked at a time).  Wal-Mart doesn't give a fuck that it's illegal; if no one complains, they'll do it anyway.  After all, it's not like the wage slaves make enough to defend themselves in court...

Walmart is often the biggest employer in small communities. They know people can't afford to complain, which is how they like it. :(
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Art Vandelay

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 09:08:51 pm »
In unrelated news, workplace accidents rise 50%.

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2012, 10:01:40 pm »
The question here is, who shipped industrial-grade idiocy to New Hampshire?

No idea. We actually avoided the Tea Party brouhaha until quite recently, during the last election cycle. New Hampshire used to be a group of small-town Libertarians, the kind who don't support taxes in any form, but are smart on issues like science and religion and feminism. For some reason the Tea Party has completely taken over here.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 10:23:11 pm »

Is this somehow legal?

What I figured. :(
-A Pen Name