Author Topic: They are trying to patent human DNA now. I’m not surprised.  (Read 2205 times)

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
They are trying to patent human DNA now. I’m not surprised.
« on: December 03, 2012, 09:15:12 pm »
All of the below pertains to specific human genes that predispose a women to breast cancer. Please keep this in mind.

The legal question for the justices is whether isolated genes are “products of nature” that may not be patented or “human-made inventions” eligible for patent protection.

That’s either the most ‘chicken or egg’ legal argument ever or really, really stupid. Please note that both options are not exclusive.

The patents were challenged by scientists and doctors who said that their research and ability to help patients had been frustrated. “Myriad and other gene patent holders have gained the right to exclude the rest of the scientific community from examining the naturally occurring genes of every person in the United States,” the plaintiffs told the Supreme Court in their petition seeking review. They added that the patents “prevent patients from examining their own genetic information” and “made it impossible to obtain second opinions.”

Ladies and gentlemen this made it to the Supreme Court. Here is the petition.

“The isolated DNA molecules before us are not found in nature,” wrote Judge Alan D. Lourie, who was in the majority. “They are obtained in the laboratory and are man-made, the product of human ingenuity.”

The company urged the justices not to hear the case, saying that the “isolated molecules” at issue “were created by humans, do not occur in nature and have new and significant utilities not found in nature.” It has long been settled, the company’s brief went on, that “the human ingenuity required to create isolated DNA molecules” is worthy of encouragement and that its fruits are worthy of protection.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 11:25:20 am by The Illusive Man »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
Re: They are trying to patient human DNA now. I’m not surprised.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 09:23:05 pm »
There's a typo in the thread title.  It should be "patent", not "patient." 

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 09:50:41 pm »
Didn't Michael Crichton write a book about that?

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 12:30:10 am »
Was it the crummy one with the dinosaurs or the crummy one with the death-virus?

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 02:09:26 am »
I think it's called "next."

Offline tempus

• Bishop
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 02:42:22 am »
Hexus: “Welcome to the boardroom, little kree soldier. Allow me to introduce myself. Mr. Greepy, the CEO of Brand Hex. Director of our global operations. The voice of Hexus. Prime servant of the Living Corporation.”

Noh-Varr: “Good. I was wondering what to shoot.”

Hexus: “It’s too late to shoot. Hexus grows. Hexus replicates. Soon, Hexus will own everything. We will license the air you breathe and the thoughts we allow you to think. Hexus cannot die. Everything will carry the Brand Hex logo. Everything down to the proteins in your DNA. Every genetic code stamped and sealed.”

Congratulations.  You found Ronald Reagan. He’s living in each and every one of you.  Just waiting to gnaw his way out of your chest and skitter off into the ventilation ducts.

--Neckfucker

That shape...that figure...those curves...god damn the weighted companion cube has never looked so good!

--Anonymous

Los Angeles is a city of brick, steel, concrete, and asphalt. There's no room for cows.

--CommanderCoffee

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 03:56:39 am »
“The isolated DNA molecules before us are not found in nature,” wrote Judge Alan D. Lourie, who was in the majority. “They are obtained in the laboratory and are man-made, the product of human ingenuity.”

The company urged the justices not to hear the case, saying that the “isolated molecules” at issue “were created by humans, do not occur in nature and have new and significant utilities not found in nature.” It has long been settled, the company’s brief went on, that “the human ingenuity required to create isolated DNA molecules” is worthy of encouragement and that its fruits are worthy of protection.

This is a case of moving the goal posts. Yes the "isolated" DNA molecules are not found in nature, however they would be found in nature as part of the DNA of the person in question. It is entirely accurate that a laboratory would be needed to isolate that DNA sequence from DNA in general, however that sequence would be already part of the original DNA.

What they seem to be trying to do is patent a naturally occurring sequence of matter. Which makes no sense. Yes scientists were needed to discover the exact meaning of that sequence, but the sequence itself occurs naturally. I suppose they could deny others access to their information on the exact nature of the sequence, but that would basically screw everyone over including themselves as they would be unable to use that information without revealing it.

That said though, Patent and copyright laws care somewhat screwed up these days so it wouldn't surprise me if someone tried to patent H2O.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 04:20:41 am »
Was it the crummy one with the dinosaurs or the crummy one with the death-virus?

Hey fuck you Jurassic Park was awesome! Well some parts of it kind of sucked and dragged on for far too long, like the Raptor nest scene that was boring as fuck and....no, shut up, JP rules!

<sticks fingers in ears> la la la la la la la la I can't hear your retort  la la la la la la la la la la la la la

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 07:30:52 am »
That's the inevitable end result of the cancer that is capitalism. Our lives have already been taken away from us and sold back to us at a ridiculous markup, wasn't it only a matter of time before our very selves were next?

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 08:15:40 am »
Well I know you can patent gene modification techniques, though patenting genes themselves is messy.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: They are trying to patent human DNA now. I’m not surprised.
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 05:45:10 pm »
Wow.....why am I just now hearing about this?

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 08:26:29 pm »
I think it's called "next."

Yeah. I read it not too long ago. Mind you, the case described in the article still doesn't justify the alarmist nature of the book. I mean, the novel had bounty hunters tracking down members of a dude's family to take their blood after the courts ruled that a company owned his genes and cells, implying that they also owned his family's inherited cells. Then there was that whole thing with hybrids, a talking orangutan and some side story about bone thieves or something. So, yeah. Basically, the book was insane.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)