Author Topic: Texas Abortion Bill: Money Is Such A Beautiful Word  (Read 4482 times)

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
Re: Texas Abortion Bill: Money Is Such A Beautiful Word
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 04:28:45 pm »
I meant, can the info be proven, as far as his sister benefiting from this law.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

QueenofHearts

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 04:37:53 pm »

I'm sure that some of the ambulatory services will turn into abortion providers and thus the sister will make some money. However, there are people above her in the company, so she doesn't have absolute say in what happens.

But, and I do feel a lot of people (and the article) have jumped to conclusions. There is nothing proving that this bill was crafted or pushed with the intent of Govenor Perry creating business for his sister. Govenor Perry has good reasons* to push this through the legislature; he's a republican with a republican majority in his state Congress and a lot of other GOP state Congresses have done the same. I see no mention of Perry's sister saying she stands to benefit or has a view one way or another with this legislation. She very well could be pro-life and wind up doing all she can to keep her company from providing these money-making abortions. To me, this looks purely coincidental.

*Good reason here means a valid reason independent of family gains, not necessarily a reason I think to be a good idea. Words escape me.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 04:45:51 pm »

I'm sure that some of the ambulatory services will turn into abortion providers and thus the sister will make some money. However, there are people above her in the company, so she doesn't have absolute say in what happens.

But, and I do feel a lot of people (and the article) have jumped to conclusions. There is nothing proving that this bill was crafted or pushed with the intent of Govenor Perry creating business for his sister. Govenor Perry has good reasons* to push this through the legislature; he's a republican with a republican majority in his state Congress and a lot of other GOP state Congresses have done the same. I see no mention of Perry's sister saying she stands to benefit or has a view one way or another with this legislation. She very well could be pro-life and wind up doing all she can to keep her company from providing these money-making abortions. To me, this looks purely coincidental.

*Good reason here means a valid reason independent of family gains, not necessarily a reason I think to be a good idea. Words escape me.

There was someone in the comments who defended her by saying that if her company was going to provide these services, they'd be doing it already (though I think this underestimates just how powerful financial influence can be).  However, if this whole thing does turn out to be true, it'll be an extremely delicious form of irony when juxtaposed with the Ohio bill that tells doctors that they have to tell prospective patients how much money they'll make off of an abortion.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 02:53:50 pm »
Well, if this law passes, the place she works and has power in would be able to provide abortions and be one of the few locations able to.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.