Author Topic: Anyone following FtB Con?  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Anyone following FtB Con?
« on: July 19, 2013, 10:20:42 pm »
FtB Con is an online convention, organized by the Freethought Blogs peoples (PZ Myers, Ed Brayton and such). Basically a bunch of live-streamed panels discussing various subjects relating to atheism/scepticism/etc. There's been I think two panels as of the time I'm posting this, and it goes on all weekend.

Because this is Freethought Blogs, there will be a lot of stuff on social justice in the sceptic movement, but if you'd rather avoid that, there's plenty of other stuff as well. I just finished watching the Critical Thinking panel (it already ended, but you can watch it on youtube) and it was actually a lot of fun. Mostly because of Julia Galef, in my opinion.

Anyway, check out the schedule, see if any speaker or subject seems interesting. If that's your thing.
Σא

Offline Diamandahagan

• Apprentice
Re: Anyone following FtB Con?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 12:03:55 pm »
I'll listen to some of the panels later on.

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 01:06:45 pm »
Right now I'm just pissed that Pharyngula's IRC is taken over by the convention attendees.

Though yeah, say hi if you catch me there, I'll be lurking until the con is over.

Offline Iconic Komodo Dragon 2

• Bishop
  • Try not to bleed to much.
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 01:39:23 pm »
Hey, maybe someday we can get in their.
I support the SCP Foundation.

I'm 91 kilograms, 2.59 meters long; Have 57 strains of bacteria in my mouth, and can eat 80% of my weight in food in a single sitting.
LAAAAYYYYDDDDIIEEES...( ͡° ͜ʖ͡°)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 05:48:50 pm »
Finished watching the Immortality panel (only saw half of it live, got interrupted, saw the rest later). It was good, but it could've been better. I'm a big fan of Eliezer Yudkowsky and PZ Myers, and transhumanism is one of the things where they strongly disagree, so I was expecting some interesting discussion. Instead, they both seemed to go for the standard arguments and didn't do the best job of tailoring their arguments to what the other guys were saying. It perhaps would've benefited from another hour.
Σא