Author Topic: The NSA: Bringing folks together in their own unusual way  (Read 2583 times)

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
The NSA: Bringing folks together in their own unusual way
« on: September 05, 2013, 11:35:15 pm »
 http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/09/04/nra-joins-aclu-suit-against-nsa-surveillance/2768575/

Take, for instance, the NRA and the ACLU: usually two groups who don't like each other very much. Well, the ACLU filed a brief against the NSA to shut down their surveillance program against various Americans. Now, the NRA has filed a brief in support of the ACLU. Politics make for strange bedfellows indeed.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
Re: The NSA: Bringing folks together in their own unusual way
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 11:38:08 pm »
Well, ain't that something. I guess there's more things we can all agree on.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 12:36:35 am »
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 12:40:20 am »
But wasn't there recent news about the NRA having their own database?
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 12:59:04 am »

Yes, but that is not a problem because they are not the goverment.

There is this strange belief in USA that anything connected to the goverment is evil and apparently as an extension of that belief the opposite is also true. So just because the 2nd amendmend fundies have raged against any data concerning who in USA owns guns BY THE GOVERMENT, they have no problems with NRA having such files and in fact violating several laws by having such files.

Because even though goverment having such a list would automatically mean it will be misused there is no possibility of an independent organisation misusing such a list...

It's not a very precise of sound logic, I know. I mean they hate the goverment spying on people but don't mind corporations doing so. On the other hand they didn't mind goverment torturing people even though they would have had a perfect opportunity in privatizing Guantanamo Bay prison and turning over the torture to some corporation. (which according to MURRICA logic should have made it more efficient and cheaper than the public option.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 05:03:02 am »
I think government surveillance projects are the one thing that can bring everybody together, hating the government in total harmony.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 12:55:00 am »

Yes, but that is not a problem because they are not the goverment.

There is this strange belief in USA that anything connected to the goverment is evil and apparently as an extension of that belief the opposite is also true. So just because the 2nd amendmend fundies have raged against any data concerning who in USA owns guns BY THE GOVERMENT, they have no problems with NRA having such files and in fact violating several laws by having such files.

Because even though goverment having such a list would automatically mean it will be misused there is no possibility of an independent organisation misusing such a list...

It's not a very precise of sound logic, I know. I mean they hate the goverment spying on people but don't mind corporations doing so. On the other hand they didn't mind goverment torturing people even though they would have had a perfect opportunity in privatizing Guantanamo Bay prison and turning over the torture to some corporation. (which according to MURRICA logic should have made it more efficient and cheaper than the public option.)

The government doesn't do a whole lot to assuage people's fears and distrust of them. What with their whole "Spy on everyone" and "Local politicians using police to arrest peaceful protesters" and "Start wars everywhere" stuff.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 12:40:35 pm »
"The enemy of my enemy is my friend" scenario, I suppose.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 02:42:26 am »
^ Correction: "The enemy of my enemy is the enemy of my enemy. No more, no less."

But it is unfolding like that, isn't it?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 02:45:56 am »
The enemy of my enemy is a problem for another day, in the meantime he might be useful.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 02:48:44 am by askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 07:10:10 pm »
The enemy of my enemy is to be set up to be useful in the short-term, but in the long term, doomed.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 12:47:29 am »
I have a question: would background checks be moot thanks to the NSA?

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 01:59:26 am »

In what sense?

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 02:11:01 am »

In what sense?
I dunno, the government prying into people's information about what guns they use based on their purchases, posts, or pictures?

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 10:14:00 am »

In what sense?
I dunno, the government prying into people's information about what guns they use based on their purchases, posts, or pictures?

Background checks are more for the seller's benefit than the government's, so they can deny firearms to someone who's not legally able to have them (not a citizen, felon, mentally ill, etc.). If a seller performs a background check and decides to hand over a gun anyway, there's no alert that gets sent to the police to send a SWAT team over; the seller will be arrested and convicted without a hitch, but there's really nothing stopping them except the threat of prosecution and losing their FFL from selling a gun illegally.

Of course, the "mentally ill" part up there is pretty difficult to get. It takes a lot of effort and time to get someone who's diagnosed as mentally ill or disabled on the "do not sell to" list, and everyone is afraid of a slippery slope that results in people who aren't dangerously crazy being put on the list.