Author Topic: How to stop ebola, the GOP way!  (Read 2991 times)

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
Re: How to stop ebola, the GOP way!
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 07:55:40 pm »
Doesn't Ebola have about a 20% or so survival rate?

It varies widely depending on setting, but WHO says it's 50/50 on average.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2014, 08:07:34 pm »
Even better. So if the plan is to kill all people diagnosed with Ebola, not even considering the fact that he also wants to kill everyone who treats them, that's essentially murder for, on average, half of Ebola patients, isn't it?
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 12:08:57 am »
Even better. So if the plan is to kill all people diagnosed with Ebola, not even considering the fact that he also wants to kill everyone who treats them, that's essentially murder for, on average, half of Ebola patients, isn't it?

Luckily someone questioned him about this so we know what he would do in this particular scenario:
Really quite stupid. Ebola Zaire is 90% fatal. This outbreak is Sudan(?) and 50% fatal. U want to euthanize @ 50/50?
His reply:
How many new infections are there per victim? If the number is more than 1, euthanize at 50/50. That's just math.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 12:46:25 am »
So its not Zaire Ebola? Whew, I heard that stuff melts you, like that one Eli Roth movie with the virus.

Well, it seems the GOP is falling back on SOP:

The GOP: We solve all our problems with murder!
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 01:01:32 am »
So its not Zaire Ebola? Whew, I heard that stuff melts you, like that one Eli Roth movie with the virus.

This one? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen_Toxie:_The_Toxic_Avenger_IV
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2014, 03:00:27 am »
The really sad thing is, that his solution is pretty much how previous outbreaks of Ebola were stopped. At least from an end result point of view. Ebola being the nasty lethal bugger that it is would generally kill off an area and then lacking any new hosts, it would die off.

In many regards the problem with this outbreak is that it is too lenient and has too high a survival rate. This means it has far more active vectors for spreading and consumes more medical resources than the more lethal verity. After all you are more likely to genuinely help someone who has a 50% chance of making it, than simply offering pain relief to the ones who only have a 10% chance of surviving.

Still, the panic around the world is pretty unfounded. With medical staff being on high alert, and basic quarantine procedures in place it wont spread to the western world easily. You could pretty much stop all of ti from spreading by just instituting a 3 week quarantine process for anyone traveling from the infected areas.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2014, 03:15:06 am »
On a completely unrelated note, I suddenly have a great idea for curing the likes of stupidity and neoconservatism.