Author Topic: Tabletop games thread  (Read 23891 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Tabletop games thread
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2014, 10:39:06 am »
Rogue Trader sounds pretty interesting.  And this is coming from a guy who knows next to nothing about tabletop games or Warhammer 40k.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:45:40 am by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2014, 04:16:57 am »
What timezone do you live in? I'm at GMT+2 which might cause a scheduling problem.

I'm in GMT -6, so its only an 8 hour difference.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2014, 04:14:53 am »
So while doing research for a Zone Mortalis (40k format for indoor battles) table made out of Legos, I found this rule book for a Lego war game. This is hilarious and awesome at the same time.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2014, 04:18:33 am »
Well I got a group now and we are going to make the player characters and their ship tomorrow.

I'm a bot nervous since this will be the first time for me as a GM. But as I always say, a horrible failure every now and then does wonders for your self esteem.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2014, 07:08:42 pm »
I just got All Things Zombie, by Two Hour Wargames, a zombie RPG that can be played solo, head-to-head, or with everyone on the same side.  I also bought some zombie miniatures, but since I couldn't find any human minis that weren't $10 each, I just bought a pack of army men instead. 

Saturday I start my vacation, and I plan to put some gaming time in.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2014, 01:52:28 am »
We did a booze raid mission in Only war.

Literally. The regiment is being transported from one warzone to another and since they have some free time one of the officers in our regiment comes up to the players and discreetly tasks them to find enough alcohol for their battalion.

We have never spend this much time and energy planning a mission as we did when our job was to steal booze and better quality food from another regiment (A regiment full of lesser nobles so they had all the best gear and food and booze. Much better than the stuff our penal colony troops had.) We had a strick timetable, my character even got us some ship crew's uniforms and everything. We spent a lot of time planning with the map trying to find out if we could sneak in without being noticed.

Oh, and due to the mission gear roll being really good we also got a heavy stubber for the squad. (There was some debate wether or not to just shoot our way through a friendly regiment but in the end that was concidered plan C in case we couldn't get out otherwise. [plan B was flashbangs and plan D was our psyker causing havoc. {His player would have preferred that to be plan A.}])

And then we just marched right in with our commissar leading the way and claimed it was a suprise inspection to find contrabands. Since Commissar Palmu does not have charm or deceive skills he proceeded to just use Terrify skill and shouts his way in and out.

It didn't excatly work out perfectly. We did get some booze but had to leave the food and dropped a flashbang on our way out. We even managed to discover some illegal proceedings in the regiment as some of the chefs had been making some cheap moonshine and mixing it with their amasec and selling the more expensive alcohol. We just took the distillery with us and let their head chef try to get to the bottom of the mess.

Unfortunately despite our subterfuge and attempts at misdirection we were followed and had to fight off a retaliatory raid by the other regiment.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2014, 11:33:57 am »
I mainly play online due to lack of fellow gamers in my area. My main interests are in White Wolf's games.

Last night, my Scion (think a divine/human hybrid, like Hercules) got promoted to Demigoddess of the Bloody Path. She now has a 600-lb. mastiff that would stand eight feet tall on its hind legs and STILL has no compunctions about trying to crawl into people's laps.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2014, 03:56:21 pm »
BABY!

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2014, 08:55:27 pm »
Apparently yesterday was International Tabletop Games Day.  I hope you all did something to celebrate!

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2014, 05:26:34 am »
I'll make up for it today.  Got some zombies to kill!
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2014, 07:41:47 am »
Apparently yesterday was International Tabletop Games Day.  I hope you all did something to celebrate!

I fought the Zombie!  (But, the Zombie won.)
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2014, 12:42:30 pm »
Setting up an old west campaign in GURPS on the SJGames official forum. Right now one of the player's is trying to get a chain revolver (basically a gun that uses a looped chain of chambers instead of a revolver cylinder) as his weapon. I've told him about how much it'll cost and how unreliable it'll likely be, but he doesn't seem to care.

I count on that gun lasting two, maybe three fights before it breaks or he tosses it.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2014, 01:30:40 pm »
I think I've seen a picture of such chain-pistol. I don't think it worked very well and might have either been some early experimental gun before revolver's got popular.

If I had more time or after some of these current rpg's are over I'd like to play some wild west game. GM is actually thinking about running a game about the railhead. (The PCs would be working for the railroad company as 'troubleshooters' clearing any problems for the railroad and scouting ahead.)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2014, 09:32:13 pm »
I think I've seen a picture of such chain-pistol. I don't think it worked very well and might have either been some early experimental gun before revolver's got popular.

If I had more time or after some of these current rpg's are over I'd like to play some wild west game. GM is actually thinking about running a game about the railhead. (The PCs would be working for the railroad company as 'troubleshooters' clearing any problems for the railroad and scouting ahead.)

A couple of different designs of chain pistol were made, but none of them were popular. Mechanically they're fairly sound, but the size of the exposed chain makes it very vulnerable to damage and it needs a custom holster or sling to carry. My campaign is pretty high on the realism scale, so he's going to be suffering badly from using it.

He's also bringing in a Colt 1855 revolver shotgun. It's a cap and ball gun, which means slow reloads, and it's always at risk of a chain fire breaking the gun and blowing off his supporting hand.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2014, 01:00:29 am »
Chain fire is a risk with all blackpowder revolvers and that is why you are supposed to put wax on the chamber to seal it.

Besides, the revolver shotgun is faster to fire than a double barreled shotgun and reloading a single shot takes the same time with either gun. That is why you should carry spare guns or habve buddies who keep you covered while you reload, that is an issue with all cap and ball guns. (Which is still a bit faster than loading a flintlock for example.)