Author Topic: Healthcare Law is in the hands of the Supreme Court  (Read 9785 times)

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
Re: Healthcare Law is in the hands of the Supreme Court
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 08:46:32 pm »
Okay, ironbite, as you know, most states require people to have car insurance. Now, if that mandate goes, does it:

A) Stand that making people buy car insurance would be unconstitutional, and

B) What happens when you're in a wreck, and the person who hit you has no insurance? Then what?

Saying this because my twin sister got into a wreck a number of years ago she still hasn't fully recovered from, and the person who hit her had no insurance.

True, but people buy insurance to be able to drive, not live.

That said, I'd love to see the law scrapped and replaced with single payer. But that ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

Single payer NOW!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOzC6905Y7w" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOzC6905Y7w</a>
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 10:40:46 pm »
Okay, ironbite, as you know, most states require people to have car insurance. Now, if that mandate goes, does it:

B) What happens when you're in a wreck, and the person who hit you has no insurance? Then what?

Saying this because my twin sister got into a wreck a number of years ago she still hasn't fully recovered from, and the person who hit her had no insurance.

I think it's bullshit you are forced to have to have insurance on your car (same with having to wear seatbelts). Of course this goes hand in hand with public healthcare being a reality.

But no, I don't think a person should be forced to have health insurance is comparable to car insurance. Car insurance has the ability to help you and the person you injure/wreck. Health insurance just effects and covers you. If the government is so conserned you should be insured, they should provide it rather than "lol, we're gonna rape your paychecks of taxes and still force you to buy shit!"
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 11:33:21 pm »

I think it's bullshit you are forced to have to have insurance on your car (same with having to wear seatbelts). Of course this goes hand in hand with public healthcare being a reality.

1. Car insurance isn't just for your benefit, it's for others as well.

2. Not wearing seatbelts can lead to people other than yourself being killed should you be forcibly evacuated through your windshield.  Further, it will inflict severe psychological trauma on any witnesses who happen to see your shredded, mangled body that was forcibly evacuated through your windshield.

So, no, not bullshit at all.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 11:59:35 pm »
I know this is out of the norm here, but I'll rather have a universal multi-payer sysytem similiar to Germany than a single payer, given that one is given more choices, and "freedom" loving teabaggers can keep being raped by their insurance companies if they choose to to.

Offline DasFuchs

• God
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 04:35:37 am »
"1. Car insurance isn't just for your benefit, it's for others as well."

I believe I said that

"2. Not wearing seatbelts can lead to people other than yourself being killed should you be forcibly evacuated through your windshield."

If you hit someone at that speed to do that, chances are neither of you are gonna survive anyways

" Further, it will inflict severe psychological trauma on any witnesses who happen to see your shredded, mangled body that was forcibly evacuated through your windshield."

Might as well demand everyone wrap up in bubble wrap too because any accident will do that regardless if your body goes through a windshield or your head explodes on the steering column
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 04:53:34 am »
If you hit someone at that speed to do that, chances are neither of you are gonna survive anyways

I'm talking about pedestrians.

Might as well demand everyone wrap up in bubble wrap too because any accident will do that regardless if your body goes through a windshield or your head explodes on the steering column

Why is it that showing even the simplest respect for other people's psyche or emotional well-being is termed as coddling them or sheltering them?  I do not understand this.  When did showing concern for people become a BAD thing?

The fact of the matter is, someone's head explodes inside their car, it stays inside their car.  Someone's body goes launching out their window, it's going to be visible for EVERYONE to see.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 10:46:56 am »
I know this is out of the norm here, but I'll rather have a universal multi-payer sysytem similiar to Germany than a single payer, given that one is given more choices, and "freedom" loving teabaggers can keep being raped by their insurance companies if they choose to to.

NAZI! /teabagger (I hate people that do this)

"1. Car insurance isn't just for your benefit, it's for others as well."

I believe I said that

"2. Not wearing seatbelts can lead to people other than yourself being killed should you be forcibly evacuated through your windshield."

" Further, it will inflict severe psychological trauma on any witnesses who happen to see your shredded, mangled body that was forcibly evacuated through your windshield."

I've heard of people surviving such crashes. I've even heard of people surviving getting thrown out the windshield, though I imagine it hurt like a motherfucker. As good as car safety features are getting you can survive worse crashes. To take to an extreme look at most race car crashes. Race cars are built to protect the driver so well they can often walk away relatively in harmed.

The case against the health care law, at least from what I heard, is built on the premise that the government can't force someone to buy a product or service. When it's worded like that it would seem to include car insurance.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 10:55:14 am »
It's not. Car insurance is mandated by the states, which can do pretty much whatever they want. If a state wanted to force its citizens to buy health insurance, they could and  it wouldn't unconstitutional. People who didn't like it would pretty much have to either move or start online petitions. The problem is that Congress's authority to mandate health insurance is iffy. They're using their power to regulate interstate commerce to justify it, but whether SCOTUS will buy it is debatable. The ironic thing is, Congress can, under the constitution, completely socialize health care, but it would never actually get passed like that. (We spent most of Monday's lecture talking about this in my constitutional law class, this is what my professor told us about it.)

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 07:48:47 pm »
The Militia Act of 1792 required each able body male upon reaching 18 years of age to get a musket or flintlock and the needed appurtenances.  So there is precedent for the federal government to force people to buy items.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline DasFuchs

• God
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 08:34:05 pm »
"I've heard of people surviving such crashes. I've even heard of people surviving getting thrown out the windshield, though I imagine it hurt like a motherfucker. As good as car safety features are getting you can survive worse crashes. "

I realise this, hence why I said "chances are". While people can, it's not likely they will

"To take to an extreme look at most race car crashes. Race cars are built to protect the driver so well they can often walk away relatively in harmed."

Unfortunately their safety devices are not practical or best. Being turned into part of the car by being strapped into a seat specially designed to hug your body by multiple straps to the point you can't move anything but your arms and some of your legs along with the full body reinforced roll cage that forms the backbone of the car...added to the fact it's rare a driver takes a wall head on. Even the slightest lapse in strapping in can be fatal, Dale Earnhardt comes to mind.

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 09:55:29 pm »
The Militia Act of 1792 required each able body male upon reaching 18 years of age to get a musket or flintlock and the needed appurtenances.  So there is precedent for the federal government to force people to buy items.

And who wants to bet that the coservatives justices will ignore this, I'm willing to put down money...

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 11:46:46 pm »
Yeah, I don't think Scalia is going to vote in favor, looks like Scalia dropped the Tea party mantra of  "let them die".

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2012, 06:33:13 am »
I don't see how the court can rule that the mandate isn't covered by the commerce clause because of how ridiculously broad the current interpretation is.  If they overturn it, I think they'll have a really hard time explaining how the federal government can get away with all this other stuff under the commerce clause (federal drug laws, for example) but that somehow the health care mandate doesn't count.  At least not without making it look blatantly politically motivated, which I wouldn't put past them (like, for example, Bush v. Gore).

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2012, 11:11:00 am »
I don't see how the court can rule that the mandate isn't covered by the commerce clause because of how ridiculously broad the current interpretation is.  If they overturn it, I think they'll have a really hard time explaining how the federal government can get away with all this other stuff under the commerce clause (federal drug laws, for example) but that somehow the health care mandate doesn't count.  At least not without making it look blatantly politically motivated, which I wouldn't put past them (like, for example, Bush v. Gore).
Seeing as Scalia was baffled whn he leared he would have to read the entire law...http://thinkprogress.org/special/2012/03/28/454099/scalia-says-court-cant-be-bothered-to-read-obamacare-you-really-want-us-to-go-through-these-2700-pages/

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2012, 11:35:07 am »

Easy, unlike all the other laws which fall under the commerce clause the mandate is the only one that requires people to buy something.  With the exception of the Militia Act of 1792, which can be argued to have standing under the second amendment, the federal government has never done this before.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth