Author Topic: Bloomberg soda ban  (Read 27559 times)

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
Re: Bloomberg soda ban
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2012, 11:21:18 am »
Revisiting food and agriculture policy would be a good idea to solve the "poverty" facet of the obesity problem.  Unfortunately, it would require Congress to step on the toes of the farm lobby.

^^This, the gov't spends a shitload of money on sugar and corn subsidies which is why the bad stuff is cheap. I would rather see the sudsidies either greatly reduced or ended all together.
Also I really don't want this to turn into a repeat of "sugargate"

Art Vandelay

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2012, 11:23:59 am »
FUCK YOU! STOP BEING A KNOW IT ALL SMARTY PANTS YOU BUMFACE!!!11!!!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2012, 01:58:36 pm »

You're kidding, right?  This is a standard sunday affair for FSTDT.

Keep Calm and Continue Arguing Over Silly Things :)
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2012, 03:17:22 pm »
The subject here is soda, right? Pop? Soft drinks?  For some reason it didn't get my philosophical or political antennae vibrating at all.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2012, 04:05:05 pm »
The subject here is soda, right? Pop? Soft drinks?  For some reason it didn't get my philosophical or political antennae vibrating at all.

I don't even drink soda, but this ban is still stupid.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2012, 05:58:30 pm »

Yeah, but the forum did seem to somewhat imploded over it.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2012, 06:09:48 pm »

Yeah, but the forum did seem to somewhat imploded over it.

I'm saying this isn't NEARLY as bad as Sugargate.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2012, 06:23:06 pm »
I agree it's not, but I  just want us to to keep calm over this discussion. Also I meant "sugargate" when I said "it" in my last post.

Carry on, folks.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2012, 06:25:53 pm »
It's always Republican propaganda. That shit's an even better scapegoat then Muslims.

Have you watched Fox News? Republican propaganda exists, no question.

Now if you'd just go more into what exactly "we can do about it" rather than this tangent about Republican politics, we'd be all set.

The answer is, of course, nothing. Once the Republican propaganda machine turns on it- as it will- any policy would either be reduced to ineffectiveness or stopped altogether. Or repealed as soon as the Republicans win the presidency (they never have to worry about the filibuster).
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Bad Angel

• Neonate
Soda! The next "prohibition" experiment endorsed by Blooming Idiot!
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2012, 06:27:20 pm »
Well, it just makes sense to ban Soda in NYC. Given Bloomberg himself is the epitome of health!

It's all in the name of pursuing better health and combating obesity after all.
That's why the NYC air is pure, the water isn't fluoridated to kill the bacteria.And the Hudson river is so clean you can see the bottom, while looking out of an overpriced penthouse window. 

Personally, I think it's all about control.
NYC banned cigarettes being smoked in Manhattan anywhere near "family friendly areas". Which translates to all of Manhattan. And yet, Cigarettes in NYC are still sold and bear some of the highest taxes in the country to boot.

People use to go to Delaware and buy cartons by the trunk full, since they were cheaper there. But that's no longer possible. Nor is it legal to mail cigarettes anymore, because people around the country were getting friends to ship them smokes from cheaper tax regions.

So now, folks make the "anti-smoking" industry, that uses synthetic nicotine in patches, gums, etc... and Big Pharma, who manufacture chemical medications promising huge side effects, just to get people to obey the laws that intend to stop everyone from smoking what is still allowed to be manufactured and sold at a premium for federal and local government taxes.

And since that's been a booming $uccess, NYC has elected to make soda the next target of prohibition!
Using the excuse, it's for the sake of fighting obesity.

Meanwhile, manufactured foods, preservatives, (when mayonnaise has a dry shelf life spanning years, and it's normal recipe includes egg's, oil and salt, there's a chemical saturation issue that's anything but healthy!)  toxic dyes, Propylene glycol (antifreeze & used in the manufacturer of polyester compounds) as a cheap sweetener & freeze damage preventative, while sodium laurel sulfate, toxic and used to manufacturer a "suds" like effect in products like toothpaste because people think suds means a product is working to clean something,  the PC propaganda regarding any food ban's in the name of "health" is BS!

It's not about health!
It's about control.

Forced compliance under threat of law.
When people bow to demands they be prohibited from accessing or utilizing that which is still manufactured and sold, the level of fear programming sets a standard communication for the powers that be, so that policy can proceed on to bigger issues and more stringent restrictions later on.

Whereas, a revolutionary demonstration in NYC Central Park, wherein thousands of people meet for an adults only "soda picnic" while lit cigarettes burn in countless ashtrays, would send a message of it's own.

We the people outnumber them the politicians!
They can't arrest us all! However,  if people comply under fear/threat of the law in matters of prohibition like soda and cigarettes banning,  they can control us all with our permission!

One
Law
At
A
Time!

Freedom isn't defined as living by permission! 

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2012, 06:30:04 pm »
I want two of whatever Bad Angel's on.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2012, 06:34:06 pm »
Oh god, an all-natural parrot D:

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2012, 06:41:19 pm »
It's always Republican propaganda. That shit's an even better scapegoat then Muslims.

Now if you'd just go more into what exactly "we can do about it" rather than this tangent about Republican politics, we'd be all set.

The answer is, of course, nothing. Once the Republican propaganda machine turns on it- as it will- any policy would either be reduced to ineffectiveness or stopped altogether. Or repealed as soon as the Republicans win the presidency (they never have to worry about the filibuster).

GOP propaganda does exist.  That does not mean that arguing that somethings are a personal responsibility is propaganda.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2012, 06:55:07 pm »

GOP propaganda does exist.  That does not mean that arguing that somethings are a personal responsibility is propaganda.

*sighs* Joker?

Thank you, Joker
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2012, 07:01:48 pm »