Author Topic: Election 2012 Predictions  (Read 27744 times)

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Election 2012 Predictions
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2012, 08:06:55 am »
Unfortunately that just reinforces the two-party status quo :(

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2012, 08:39:07 am »
While I know many people might attack me for this, I feel I should point out that a vote for a liberal third-party candidate is a de facto vote for Mitt Romney. Just look at the 2000 and 1912 elections.
True in fact that was why Gore lost

Distind

« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2012, 09:46:33 am »
Sandman's allegory reminded me of this article for some reason.  Andrew Sullivan picks apart Obama's critics on both sides.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/01/15/andrew-sullivan-how-obama-s-long-game-will-outsmart-his-critics.html

Just to underline the article, this is a good read. Though I'm probably just saying that because I've tried to say it here a number of times.

Offline TheReasonator

• Bishop
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2012, 03:30:36 pm »
At the same time it is going to convince a lot of the more mainstream republicans who are pretty cool on Rommney to begin with to sit this election out while convincing democrats who might be inclined to sit out because Obama is a disappointment to vote for him to keep the fuckwits out of office.

I'm an example. I planned to vote for Jill Stein, the Green Party candidate before a few things including Romney's pick of Paul Ryan convinced me of how important it is to keep the Republicans from winning the presidency.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2012, 03:52:49 pm »
Sandman's allegory reminded me of this article for some reason.  Andrew Sullivan picks apart Obama's critics on both sides.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/01/15/andrew-sullivan-how-obama-s-long-game-will-outsmart-his-critics.html

Just to underline the article, this is a good read. Though I'm probably just saying that because I've tried to say it here a number of times.

I missed that article earlier...

Yes, that is a good read.  Definitely makes me feel better about voting for Obama :D
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2012, 05:44:43 pm »
While I know many people might attack me for this, I feel I should point out that a vote for a liberal third-party candidate is a de facto vote for Mitt Romney. Just look at the 2000 and 1912 elections.
True in fact that was why Gore lost
That and disenfranchising voters, many of whom are African American. For a more recent example, try the voter ID and early voting laws.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2012, 06:48:32 pm »

It was only a matter of time that we got this mantra. I'm not going to attack you, but I'm sick of this bs. I live in a pretty safe state for the democratic party to win(NY), but you know what I'm sick of holding my nose and hoping the democratic party may throw me a bone, if I vote for their presidental candidate. I used to consider myself a democrat, but I don't anymore, given that they only come to us more liberal members when they want our vote, any other time they're more than happy to throw us under the bus. I'm sick of being thrown under the bus. I'll either vote Rocky Anderson or Jill Stein, I'm leaning towards Anderson.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2012, 06:53:03 pm »
I'd start shopping for third party candidates in 2016 myself.

Ironbite-cause any possibility of a Romney presidency scares me

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2012, 06:54:30 pm »
I'd start shopping for third party candidates in 2016 myself.

Ironbite-cause any possibility of a Romney presidency scares me

From all I've heard of Stein, if she can prove to back up her talk, I'd HAPPILY vote for her for 2016.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2012, 07:59:09 pm »
I don't want Romney as president, but I'm not going to be scared of it if happens, I once thought that the Bush Jr. years were the end of the world, but I've seemed to have survived it.

Offline TheReasonator

• Bishop
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2012, 08:12:14 pm »
Unfortunately that just reinforces the two-party status quo :(

No third party has ever come to power anywhere starting with the top office.

I agree we need a third party, and was going to vote for one until recently, but I've realized what we really need is a third party that aims for victories in local, state, and congressional elections before going for the presidency.

It doesn't necessarily have to be too long before seeking the presidency. The Republican Party began and took the presidency within a decade. But they did start out seeking other offices first.

Likewise Britain's Labour Party didn't start off right away capturing the Prime Minister's seat.

Rome wasn't built in a day, but every party third party seems to want that.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2012, 08:24:42 pm »
There are many steps that would have to be taken to allow a third party to even compete on the same level as Republicans and Democrats.

Unfortunately, those steps have not been taken yet.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2012, 09:37:17 pm »
It was only a matter of time that we got this mantra. I'm not going to attack you, but I'm sick of this bs. I live in a pretty safe state for the democratic party to win(NY), but you know what I'm sick of holding my nose and hoping the democratic party may throw me a bone, if I vote for their presidental candidate. I used to consider myself a democrat, but I don't anymore, given that they only come to us more liberal members when they want our vote, any other time they're more than happy to throw us under the bus. I'm sick of being thrown under the bus. I'll either vote Rocky Anderson or Jill Stein, I'm leaning towards Anderson.

Which is fine for you, since the state is safe. I'm still registered to vote in a battleground state, and even if I change my voting to where I live now (which isn't likely), it's also a battleground state. While I am not foolish enough to believe that my 1 vote will tip either state, I do believe that if enough people take the attitude of "my vote won't matter, so I am voting 3rd party," the states can tip to Romney.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2012, 10:21:15 pm »
If you really want to make an impact rather than voting for a 3rd party you would be better off getting involved at a grassroots level with the party that most closely aligns with your views. The problem is the left, almost globally have been weaker in the party rooms than the right.

As for this election, well while the world won't end it will be significantly worse for the US and the rest of the World if Obama doesn't get re-elected. Romney may well push us into a global recession and given the way we slavishly follow the US culturally bring about a new wave of moral puritanism that would be just awful. We are slowly getting out of the moral rectitude of the last decade. It would be nice if people loosen up a bit.

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
  • We Have Such Sights To Show You.
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2012, 10:22:32 pm »
There are many steps that would have to be taken to allow a third party to even compete on the same level as Republicans and Democrats.

Unfortunately, those steps have not been taken yet.

Those steps will never be taken. The two current major parties control all of the access paths by which such steps could be taken, and they will never allow serious competition for their base. Besides, the Electoral College can only be gamed with two parties, and they both know this.
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson