Author Topic: OH Shit moments in gaming  (Read 20040 times)

Distind

Re: OH Shit moments in gaming
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2012, 01:14:16 pm »
For me another moment is the first time I encountered a Super Mutant in Fallout 3 I had seen them before but never up close until I was heading to Big Town cause  my friend told me about the quest there. So while walking there one of those green bastards appeared with a rocket launcher and killed me.
That prick is a set spawn too. If he's the one I remember.

Still remember hearing a 'Whoosh' past my head and being confused, until the explosion behind me tipped me off. Nailed the rad scorpion I was running away from, but didn't really improve my situation any.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2012, 01:25:33 pm »
The first time I saw one was in a trailer near Arefu.  I was level 3, and due to an unfortunate run in with some radscorpions, I only had about 30 bullets.  I saw the thing on the radar, and assumed that it would be a raider, hopefully with lots of ammo for me.  I sneaked around to the opening, and it saw me immediately.  I had never played a Fallout game before, so I had never seen a Super Mutant.  This was also my first experience of coming up against a minigun.

I actually did manage to kill it, but the only functional weapon that I had left was a knife, plus I used all of my stimpacks.  I had to start the game over.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2012, 05:01:17 pm »
The final Bone Pit quest in Dragon Age II: Surprise! High Dragon!
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2012, 05:17:32 pm »
Oh yeah, the Super Mutants in Fallout 3. I remember when I first encountered few of the easier ones in the Washington ruins. Having played the previous Fallouts I definitely had an Oh Shit moment - F1 or F2 Super Mutants would have meant certain death for as low level character as mine was. Of course, I found out pretty fast that the Super Mutants in F3 are different and easier. As a fan of the series this seriously annoyed me until I found the in-game explanation that they are a different breed of Super Mutants from those in the West Coast. The Brutes and other tougher types returned my respect of them as enemies but I'm still a bit disappointed that they made the weakest ones more cannon fodder than a real threat.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2012, 06:00:47 pm »
Oh yeah, the Super Mutants in Fallout 3. I remember when I first encountered few of the easier ones in the Washington ruins. Having played the previous Fallouts I definitely had an Oh Shit moment - F1 or F2 Super Mutants would have meant certain death for as low level character as mine was. Of course, I found out pretty fast that the Super Mutants in F3 are different and easier. As a fan of the series this seriously annoyed me until I found the in-game explanation that they are a different breed of Super Mutants from those in the West Coast. The Brutes and other tougher types returned my respect of them as enemies but I'm still a bit disappointed that they made the weakest ones more cannon fodder than a real threat.

FOOK 2 tends to address that by giving them bigger, deadlier weapons. In return they tend to be inaccurate, but soak up a lot of roads in general. SO they are still pretty easy at short range, but extremely potent at point blank. Unless they accidentally got a sniper rifle or something.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2012, 09:08:35 pm »
I've had some in my latest EU3 game - first, when Portugal colonized the Azores before me. That gave them a vital foothold that they could later use to colonize the New World. Then, when Portugal went ahead and started, the tension ratcheted up until I could finally colonize the Eastern Seaboard, giving me dominance of one of the most valuable regions in North America.

That moment when you realise you've spent so much money #occuping the modern US that France is pretty much equal on naval tech, has as many ships and is twenty years ahead on land tech.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2012, 09:50:45 pm »
I've had some in my latest EU3 game - first, when Portugal colonized the Azores before me. That gave them a vital foothold that they could later use to colonize the New World. Then, when Portugal went ahead and started, the tension ratcheted up until I could finally colonize the Eastern Seaboard, giving me dominance of one of the most valuable regions in North America.

That moment when you realise you've spent so much money #occuping the modern US that France is pretty much equal on naval tech, has as many ships and is twenty years ahead on land tech.

I was that France. I occupied basically all of Africa, US, Northern Mexico, and Argentina. As they cored, I became Godly Super France Republic, controller of the world that none can oppose.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2012, 11:12:34 pm »

Hey, want to join our MP game?

Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2012, 12:21:26 am »
I remember playing a game of Civ 5 and I had made a small alliance with Napoleon (This is important) so while this was happening me and Egypt were having a bit of a disagreement. (I settled to close to the bastard he overreacted and started a war) Anyway as this was going on Napoleon was covertly moving his forces near my city until he messaged me saying he was breaking our alliance and attacked me so I was basically fighting a war on two fronts against one enemy that I out matched and one that was totally above me in technological and military strength. In the end I lost the war with Napoleon and will never trust him in Civ 5 for the rest of time.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2012, 12:45:29 am »
First time I encounters Super Mutants was in the ruins of DC.  Then I found them in the Mall.

Ironbite-first time dying was on the steps of the Metro you have to take to get to the Science Museum to get the Dish for THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE DOG!

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2012, 02:13:54 am »

That was oh shit. Fighting the Arishok was 'SWEET JESUS FUCK HE'S GOING TO KILL ME!'
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2012, 03:12:25 am »

That was oh shit. Fighting the Arishok was 'SWEET JESUS FUCK HE'S GOING TO KILL ME!'

The Arishok was a tougher fight, but I didn't realize that it would be so tough. The High Dragon, on the other hand, that I knew would be a problem.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2012, 07:13:17 am »
Playing as Muscovy at all.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2012, 07:26:08 am »
Skyrim:  Got into a fight not far from a city in the southwest (can't remember the name of it) when a dragon showed up.  Since I was in no shape to take on said dragon, I took off . . . only to round a corner and see another dragon circling.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2012, 05:13:49 pm »
Skyrim:  Got into a fight not far from a city in the southwest (can't remember the name of it) when a dragon showed up.  Since I was in no shape to take on said dragon, I took off . . . only to round a corner and see another dragon circling.

That's more 'Oh shit with a cherry on top!'
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."