Author Topic: Wikipedia still going dark over SOPA  (Read 17863 times)

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
Re: Wikipedia still going dark over SOPA
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2012, 11:36:22 pm »
Especially on Deviantart. Christ. They don't exactly go through the official channels to make sure their copyright is protected, even if they CAN claim that their work is entirely theirs & not influenced by anyone else.

Offline The Bright Angel

• Apprentice
  • Just Your typical Bi possible Trans kid (not sure)
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2012, 12:44:31 am »
Especially on Deviantart. Christ. They don't exactly go through the official channels to make sure their copyright is protected, even if they CAN claim that their work is entirely theirs & not influenced by anyone else.

True. As a member of that community I know that this law would be disastrous and dangerous waters for any artist on that site.

Edit found this while searching the web.

:o : Glenn Beck is against SOPA/PIPA. Yes you heard me. He doesn't want SOPA.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/18/glenn-beck-sopa_n_1214701.html

Did I get hoodwinked? Is the water contaminated with something? I can't believe it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 12:47:01 am by The Bright Angel »
"Can you imagine on judgement day, when God tells you your wife was secretly a lesbian who liked you but never really loved you. That she wasn't your soul-mate after all. Better if both of you were free to find your true love."-Evil Roy Slick of Yahoo News

Offline jumpingjackflash

• Agent Swears-A-Lot Peashooter
  • Pope
  • Burn, baby, burn!
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2012, 12:59:15 am »

True. As a member of that community I know that this law would be disastrous and dangerous waters for any artist on that site.

Did I get hoodwinked? Is the water contaminated with something? I can't believe it.

Ok seriously, is nobody even going to try and avenge my man-burrito?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2012, 01:49:04 am »
Why am I agreeing with Glenn Beck?

Ironbite-I'm...confused.

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2012, 01:51:51 am »
some people on reddit are suggesting that people should donate to wikipedia to thank them for what they've done.
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

Offline Joey

• Bishop
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2012, 03:57:53 am »

SOPA isn't really a Left vs Right issue... it has both support and opposition across the political spectrum.
"A human is a system for converting dust billions of years ago into dust billions of years from now via a roundabout process which involves checking email a lot." - XKCD

Offline rosenewock21

• The Snuffleupagus of the Satanic Sesame Street
  • God
  • Holder of the sleepy time rag
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2012, 04:39:10 am »
Deviant Art has a discussion going on right now about it, with a banner linking to the discussion at the top of all pages. Considering the large number of fan art on DA, most of the debaters are against it.

The thing I took from this quote isn't "Yay, a majority of people are against it" but rather "Holy crap, a decent percentage of people are actually stupid enough to support this thing!?"

I'll remind you that there are people in the fan-fiction realm who mark their OCs as "Original Character. Do not steal/use without permission" with no sense of irony what-so-ever. I mean, it would be one thing to ask that they not be used without crediting....but that? Really?

Actually, I don't know why I'm surprised. There's some group on LJ who thinks you can't even use ideas that are similar to theirs without crediting them. They came up with what they saw as a completely original idea (that is actually older than dirt) and will flame the hell out of anyone who has a similar story that won't give them credit. What amuses me is that tvtropes even has a page for "their" idea listing examples of it in various media, Tommyknockers and Prey being some better examples.

But, enough of me grousing about the stupidity of people. How was every one impacted by the blackout? I know I kept trying to use wikipedia today out of habit.

Edit for grammar fail.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 09:49:01 am by rosenewock21 »
Matthew 22:39 "And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." God's own "don't be a dick" rule.

Lithp and Vene really need to have some kind of confusing sexual encounter where Vene spends the entire session lovingly insulting Lithp's technique, then cums on his face, ruffles his hair, says, "You're all right, kid!", and then punches him in the nuts.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2012, 09:41:34 am »

SOPA isn't really a Left vs Right issue... it has both support and opposition across the political spectrum.

But Beck isn’t really a Left/Right issue either. He’s just plain nuts!
-A Pen Name

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2012, 11:01:49 am »

My god... it's full of stars...
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2012, 11:06:26 am »

When you consider he now makes all his income through his internet ventures, I think its safe to say he's worried about his income stream as much as he's thinking about the actual piracy/privacy issues.

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2012, 02:01:58 pm »
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2012, 02:47:34 pm »
It would also appear that several representatives' websites are being shut down by the sheer number of traffic they've been getting.

http://gizmodo.com/5877219/sopa-outrage-is-breaking-the-senates-websites

It looks like many of you really don't like this SOPA thing! And best of all, you're actually doing something about it: US Senate contact pages are being hammered so hard, they're crashing.

Apparently, you can take away our civil liberties, but may the gods help you if you touch our lolcats.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline rosenewock21

• The Snuffleupagus of the Satanic Sesame Street
  • God
  • Holder of the sleepy time rag
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2012, 02:57:12 pm »
It would also appear that several representatives' websites are being shut down by the sheer number of traffic they've been getting.

http://gizmodo.com/5877219/sopa-outrage-is-breaking-the-senates-websites

It looks like many of you really don't like this SOPA thing! And best of all, you're actually doing something about it: US Senate contact pages are being hammered so hard, they're crashing.

Apparently, you can take away our civil liberties, but may the gods help you if you touch our lolcats.

We even have a protest song for our generation!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p-TV4jaCMk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p-TV4jaCMk</a>
Matthew 22:39 "And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." God's own "don't be a dick" rule.

Lithp and Vene really need to have some kind of confusing sexual encounter where Vene spends the entire session lovingly insulting Lithp's technique, then cums on his face, ruffles his hair, says, "You're all right, kid!", and then punches him in the nuts.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2012, 03:11:16 pm »
Deviant Art has a discussion going on right now about it, with a banner linking to the discussion at the top of all pages. Considering the large number of fan art on DA, most of the debaters are against it.

The thing I took from this quote isn't "Yay, a majority of people are against it" but rather "Holy crap, a decent percentage of people are actually stupid enough to support this thing!?"

Yeah, I don't even see SOPA as controversial.  It's a huge threat to the web, it gives businesses and government too much power, and the wording makes it easy for any site to get taken down.  If you're an internet user, this is bad, end of story.  No need for debate. 

Anyone who thinks SOPA is a good idea should be banned from the internet. 

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2012, 08:32:55 pm »
There may be a legislative alternative to SOPA, one that tries to accomplish the same goals without killing the Internet. I got this from Senator Maria Cantwell (D-WA) in reply to my e-mail about SOPA:

Dear [Meshakhad],

Thank you for contacting me about the internet streaming of copyrighted material. I appreciate hearing from you on this issue.

On May 12, 2011, Senator Leahy (D-VT) introduced S. 968, the Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft of Intellectual Property (PROTECT IP) Act. While I am supportive of the goals of the bill, I am deeply concerned that the definitions and the means by which the legislation seeks to accomplish these goals will have unintended consequences and hurt innovation, job creation, and threaten online speech and security. On November 17, 2011, I signed a letter along with Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR) objecting to the bill as it is currently written.   

On December 17, 2011, Senator Wyden introduced the "Online Protection and Enforcement of Digital Trade" (OPEN) Act (S. 2029), of which I am an original co-sponsor. The bill has been referred to the Senate Finance Committee, where it is currently awaiting further review. The OPEN Act is a more effective approach to stopping foreign web sites that are found to be primarily and willfully used to infringe intellectual property rights. The OPEN Act builds on the existing legal framework used by the International Trade Commission for addressing unfair acts in the importation of articles into the United States, or in their sale for importation, or sale within the United States after importation.

Our trade laws have yet to catch up to deal with the global digital economy. The OPEN Act recognizes that the Internet has created new opportunities for foreign products to reach the U.S. market and that there is little difference between downloading a pirated movie from a foreign website and importing a counterfeit movie DVD from a foreign company. For those foreign web sites that are determined after an investigation to be primarily and willfully infringing, the International Trade Commission will issue a "Cease and Desist" order. The "Cease and Desist" order may also be served on financial intermediaries that provide services to that foreign web site, compelling financial payment processors and online advertising providers to cease doing business with the foreign site in question.  This would cut off financial incentives for this illegal activity and deter these unfair imports from reaching the U.S. market.

The OPEN Act addresses the same challenges as the PROTECT IP Act, while protecting freedom of speech, innovation, and security on the Internet. The challenge of rogue web sites is one that many nation's face. The United State has always been seen as a leader on Internet issues. Laws we establish in the United States regarding the Internet are likely to be used as models around the world. And because the Internet is global in nature, it is important that we carefully consider how the laws and policies we adopt in this area may be received and translated by other countries.

Thank you again for contacting me to share your thoughts on this matter. You may also be interested in signing up for periodic updates for Washington State residents. If you are interested in subscribing to this update, please visit my website at http://cantwell.senate.gov. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Maria Cantwell
United States Senator

tl;dr She's co-sponsored an alternative legislation similar to SOPA, but with two major differences. First, it would only go after websites whose PRIMARY purpose is the hosting of illegal content. Second, there would be an investigation before even issuing a cease-and-desist letter.

Sounds a lot better to me.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!