Author Topic: Mormon Website says that sexuality is not a choice  (Read 1709 times)

Offline calshepN7

• Neonate
  • Calibrating...please wait.
Mormon Website says that sexuality is not a choice
« on: December 09, 2012, 10:35:55 am »
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/07/15734686-new-website-from-mormon-church-sexuality-is-not-a-choice?lite

I grew up LDS and left the church about 2 years ago (I'd been questioning it for a good while before that, but enjoyed the local community). As far as my personal upbringing is concerned, this is huge. Both my parents were very much of the opinion that people chose to be gay Har har, guys, I tell you I didn't choose to want to hit Zooey Deschanel like a ton of bricks. But I totally would. And it sucked growing up as a teenager being told such feelings, that I had no control over, made me a bad person.

Although they're still hanging on to the anti-gay marriage thing, which really doesn't surprise me, I do think it's a step in the right direction. I mean, we are talking a place whose members endorsed electro-shock therapy as a "cure" for homosexuality for a long time. At the very least, I really appreciated the encouragement to parents to not reject their gay children. It could be a lot better...but it has definitely been worse. I expect this is meeting with seriously mixed reactions from members.

Telling an atheist to burn in Hell is like telling an adult that Santa's not bringing him any presents this year.

Offline Xander Zzyzx

• Apprentice
  • Now with 25% more devil
Re: Mormon Website says that sexuality is not a choice
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 10:53:12 am »
This is a surprise to me, especially from the Mormon church. Though their stance that actually acting on your feelings and attraction is still bad, they're just taking the "hate the sin, love the sinner" cop-out route that most religions take when faced with something they don't like.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 10:54:53 am »
This is a surprise to me, especially from the Mormon church. Though their stance that actually acting on your feelings and attraction is still bad, they're just taking the "hate the sin, love the sinner" cop-out route that most religions take when faced with something they don't like.

It's still better than before. It's a start, that's how most Christians I know became non-homophobic.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline Xander Zzyzx

• Apprentice
  • Now with 25% more devil
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 11:13:33 am »

It's still better than before. It's a start, that's how most Christians I know became non-homophobic.

Well, I guess if it's a start, then I shouldn't knock it too much.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 12:14:44 pm »
It's a teeny tiny baby step that they immediately negate by jumping off the bridge.  In the end, this means nothing.  Only that they're now acknowledging that it might not be something people have a choice in.

Ironbite-they're still saying that such people are evil.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 12:36:15 pm »
I honestly don't know how I feel about Mormons. Their church is kind of cult-like in my opinion, and they were racist until 1979(only because they were threatened to lose their tax exemption status).
However, most of the Mormons I know are really nice. I mean yes, they are homophobic, but they aren't evil. They just seem really sheltered and oblivious to the fact that their church has done and still does some pretty fucked up stuff.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!