Author Topic: Heliocentrism, the most widely accepted lie ever told?  (Read 25746 times)

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
Re: Heliocentrism, the most widely accepted lie ever told?
« Reply #120 on: February 27, 2013, 05:44:40 pm »
Rabbit, USSR and Khmer Rouge Cambodia. Both atheist states that did persecute the religious. But as Sylvana pointed out that was because they were oligarchies/ police states. Whereas Scandanavia (apart from the nudity, the saunas and the whipping each other with sticks) is just dandy.
What's wrong with nude scandinavians?

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #121 on: February 27, 2013, 11:11:03 pm »
John! Why did you shave your beard?!
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #122 on: February 27, 2013, 11:49:58 pm »
Flattery will get you a fuck yeah.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #123 on: February 28, 2013, 12:47:15 am »
Gotta admit this troll has staying power.

Ironbite-but keep going...I'm getting frisky.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #124 on: February 28, 2013, 09:39:58 am »
I might be paying attention to this if what he was saying wasn't trite dribble.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #125 on: February 28, 2013, 01:20:00 pm »
Gotta admit this troll has staying power.

Ironbite-but keep going...I'm getting frisky.
Down, boy.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #126 on: March 01, 2013, 06:03:49 pm »
I have my personal beliefs regarding the supernatural, but I tend to be more skeptical and science-based first before I assume something is supernatural. From my understanding, science is based on the observable world and as someone else said, the material world. That is, through observing, questioning and testing something that is seemingly tangible. It is through this process that we discover things about the universe and our world. Science is what got us out of the dark ages so to say and made life a bit easier as in the case of discovering and synthesizing chemicals to produce medications, studying diseases in order to find medications or cures for them, etc.

Religion is basically an institution that usually is fear-based and most of the modern world is moving away from fear based dogmas and seeking out other spiritual paths for personal enlightenment. Atheism is a lack of beliefs so they don't have a set doctrine or dogma to "preach" to others and also, not all scientists are atheists, there are many who are in various scientific field that have beliefs in a God or some other deity. Some might even see the awe in things such as cells, celestial bodies, chemistry etc and it reinforces their belief in a Higher Power, however, in conducting studies, they must check their personal beliefs at the store and focus on what can be observed or the hypothesis that they are testing and so forth, in order to not contaminate their studies with personal bias.

Otherwise, this AE guy is pretty damn amusing.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Patches

• Bishop
« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2013, 07:56:00 pm »
Back to the original topic of this thread, I went looking for a video to explain the Mars retrograde motion to see how geocentrists would explain it... and apparently they've come up with something.

I commented that you can draw hypothetical orbit diagrams all day, and they don't mean squat if you can't explain the forces involved.  Now one of the "teach the controversy" commenters is going all "Newtonian physics have no place in 2013, learn some relativity and all will become clear!" tripe on me.

The video made me laugh out loud when the narrator wondered why evolution had yet to provide an explanation for stable orbits (and naturally he gives no mechanism for how the hell HIS proposed orbits could ever be stable).

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2013, 08:27:57 pm »
Back to the original topic of this thread, I went looking for a video to explain the Mars retrograde motion to see how geocentrists would explain it... and apparently they've come up with something.

I commented that you can draw hypothetical orbit diagrams all day, and they don't mean squat if you can't explain the forces involved.  Now one of the "teach the controversy" commenters is going all "Newtonian physics have no place in 2013, learn some relativity and all will become clear!" tripe on me.

The video made me laugh out loud when the narrator wondered why evolution had yet to provide an explanation for stable orbits (and naturally he gives no mechanism for how the hell HIS proposed orbits could ever be stable).

Because Goddidit, obviously.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #129 on: March 02, 2013, 09:55:23 pm »
Apparently, hot mostly-naked Swedish men scare off fundies/trolls.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2013, 12:29:38 am »
How did I miss this thread?

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2013, 01:35:48 am »
Wondered what Heliocentrism is...

Then discovered it is the widely accepted (and one with outstanding evidence of) idea that the sun is the center of the known galaxy we live in...

This man who says "The Atheist" should "self-censor," even in Jack Chick-grade stupidity believes Catholicism and Islam is at fault of Atheism (what the fuck?) believes this is all bunk... (Should I also mention it was the Catholic Church that imprisoned Copernicus until his death over this discovery?)

...I now even more so dearly wish this man is a poe.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2013, 01:58:32 am »
Wondered what Heliocentrism is...

Then discovered it is the widely accepted (and one with outstanding evidence of) idea that the sun is the center of the known galaxy we live in...

This man who says "The Atheist" should "self-censor," even in Jack Chick-grade stupidity believes Catholicism and Islam is at fault of Atheism (what the fuck?) believes this is all bunk... (Should I also mention it was the Catholic Church that imprisoned Copernicus until his death over this discovery?)

...I now even more so dearly wish this man is a poe.

A small correction, the sun is the center of our solar system, not our galaxy. The center of our galaxy is a supermassive black hole. Our sun resides in one of the "arms" of the Milky Way.

Offline Patches

• Bishop
« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2013, 08:34:05 am »
Actually, from the guy who's arguing with me on YouTube, apparently geocentrists (who think the earth is the center of the universe), believe that heliocentrism states the same thing, just with the sun:
Okay, lets do heliocentric as well. Your position is that the ENTIRE milky way and the ENTIRE universe has to revolve around the sun and at some point, objects must exceed speed of light. Therefore the heliocentric model is wrong too? You have to see that your logic is flawed. Is this really that hard to see?
I also like that he completely ignored my question of how the geocentric model explains Lagrange points.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 08:36:10 am by Patches »

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2013, 12:18:48 pm »
Actually, from the guy who's arguing with me on YouTube, apparently geocentrists (who think the earth is the center of the universe), believe that heliocentrism states the same thing, just with the sun:
Okay, lets do heliocentric as well. Your position is that the ENTIRE milky way and the ENTIRE universe has to revolve around the sun and at some point, objects must exceed speed of light. Therefore the heliocentric model is wrong too? You have to see that your logic is flawed. Is this really that hard to see?
I also like that he completely ignored my question of how the geocentric model explains Lagrange points.

La Grange points?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vppbdf-qtGU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vppbdf-qtGU</a>
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.