Author Topic: New pope continues reprimand of nuns  (Read 6211 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
New pope continues reprimand of nuns
« on: April 17, 2013, 07:23:34 pm »
Link

Good job, Guys. Keep fucking that chicken.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: New pope continues reprimand of nuns
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 07:27:32 pm »
The Vatican last year said in its doctrinal assessment that the nuns’ group was tinged with feminist influences, focused too much on ending social and economic injustice and not enough on stopping abortion, and permitted speakers at its meetings who questioned church doctrine.

Uh, I thought ending social and economic injustice and not being quite as dogmatic as his predecessors was what the current Pope was all about.

Thanks for disillusioning me.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 08:25:01 pm »
The Vatican last year said in its doctrinal assessment that the nuns’ group was tinged with feminist influences, focused too much on ending social and economic injustice and not enough on stopping abortion, and permitted speakers at its meetings who questioned church doctrine.

Uh, I thought ending social and economic injustice and not being quite as dogmatic as his predecessors was what the current Pope was all about.

What the hell, Pope Francis! Social Justice is your forte! The activism in Argentina...the humility & simple living...foot-washing those delinquent ladies....what was that all about?! I thought you were going to be saner! Those nun's are doing what you've been doing! The hell!

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 08:27:20 pm »

What the hell, Pope Francis! Social Justice is your forte! The activism in Argentina...the humility & simple living...foot-washing those delinquent ladies....what was that all about?! I thought you were going to be saner! Those nun's are doing what you've been doing! The hell!

They're women. If they're not trying to end abortion, they're not good Catholics.

(I speak as a former Catholic...)
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 10:04:13 pm »
For those who still believe in Catholicism but are sane & Progressive, I'd say it's high time that they ditch the RC and start their own Catholic Church!

I'd say that trend is starting.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/16/american-national-catholic-church-progressive-catholicism_n_1968413.html

Also, there's a number of other Catholic offshoots out there that are of varying levels of Liberalism:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_Catholic_Church

Then, of course, there The Episcopalian Church.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 10:37:00 pm »

Bergoglio was very clever with all his empty symbolic gestures, wasn't he? Didn't actually have to do anything meaningful, and still everyone assumed he was Superpope, defender of the downtrodden and revitalizer of the Church.

Sure, he did some good work back when he was archbishop. Do keep in mind, though, that after 15 years in charge he left the Church in Argentina in basically the same way he found it. There's no evidence that he'll be substantially different from previous Popes on the issues that actually matter.
Σא

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 12:04:05 am »

AKA Catholicism Lite.  All the pageantry, none of the guilt.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 12:49:07 am »
Huh...seems some of us were kinda right about the new pope.

Ironbite-meet the new boss same as the old boss.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 01:03:47 am »

Yup! :)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 01:07:08 am »
Heck, if I understand correctly, Episcopalians also have monks and nuns.  Celibacy optional.

I know the priests aren't required to be celibate.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 01:32:55 am »
Why am I not surprised?
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 01:33:01 am »
Heck, if I understand correctly, Episcopalians also have monks and nuns.  Celibacy optional.

Yup! If anyone's a devout Catholic with Progressive values, they should give the Episcopalians a shot! They have all the Catholic stuff, Priest, Bishops, Deacons, Religious Orders, The Mass, Holy Days, The Sacraments, etc. All the rich beauty, ritual & devotion of Catholicism without the heavy authoritarian, sex-phobic, woman-loathing, fundie, pedophile crap.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 02:56:17 am »
Damn.  I stood up for the guy and then he does this?  *sigh*

Still, this behavior doesn't make the positive things he's done any less valid.  Also, I wonder how much the pope is just a mouthpiece here...

The news came after a meeting in the Vatican on Monday between the heads of the nuns’ group, the Leadership Conference of Women Religious; Archbishop Gerhard Ludwig Müller, the head of the Vatican’s doctrinal office, which ordered the crackdown one year ago; and Archbishop J. Peter Sartain of Seattle, who was appointed last year to oversee the five-year process.

I mean I guess he has the final say, but how much control does the man really have when pressured by the fucksticks in the bolded lines?

Also, the pope's not saying nuns should abandon social justice and stuff.  He's just saying that he thinks they're losing sight of the abortion issue and the church's official view in the process.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 03:56:59 am by B-Man »
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 05:48:25 am »

Solunds a bit like the Church of England.  Only the C of E is more "All the pageantry, 90% less guilt".

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 06:14:09 am »

Yup! If anyone's a devout Catholic with Progressive values, they should give the Episcopalians a shot! They have all the Catholic stuff, Priest, Bishops, Deacons, Religious Orders, The Mass, Holy Days, The Sacraments, etc. All the rich beauty, ritual & devotion of Catholicism without the heavy authoritarian, sex-phobic, woman-loathing, fundie, pedophile crap.
Yeah, a friend of mine converted to Episcopalianism after being disgusted with the Church's activities.  We even go to the same church.
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.