Author Topic: Sexist Memes  (Read 12426 times)

Offline doomcup

• Neonate
Re: Sexist Memes
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2013, 12:41:21 am »
Idiot Nerd Girl does have a few problems with elitism, I think.  Also, there's no male equivalent, which is kinda troubling and says a lot about the attitude towards girls and nerdiness.

Also, there's arguably the problem you can run into the meme with the "No True Scotsman" fallacy.

Those are all fair. The nerd/geek subculture can be very elitist, and I'm honestly ashamed at how much sexism there can be, especially in the gaming culture.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2013, 02:44:11 am »
I dont get the obsession with nerd pride or the nerd or geek subculture, especially its elitism. Is such a stupid thing to put any thought into
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2013, 06:45:14 pm »
I dont get the obsession with nerd pride or the nerd or geek subculture, especially its elitism. Is such a stupid thing to put any thought into

Nerd gets elevated from snarl word to cool word in popular culture.

The word "nerd" then becomes a status symbol.

People start desperately trying to clothe themselves in the status symbol to hide their inadequacies while chasing away others from it to show it has "value".

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2013, 02:14:30 am »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2013, 11:41:25 am »
Idiot Nerd Girl does have a few problems with elitism, I think.  Also, there's no male equivalent, which is kinda troubling and says a lot about the attitude towards girls and nerdiness.

Also, there's arguably the problem you can run into the meme with the "No True Scotsman" fallacy.

Those are all fair. The nerd/geek subculture can be very elitist, and I'm honestly ashamed at how much sexism there can be, especially in the gaming culture.

I recall reading a post on Tumblr from a some chick who was out in public wearing a t-shirt with a character from a comic book on it. Some guy approached her to accuse her of never having actually read the comic and only wearing the shirt as a fashion statement -- a common occurrence for a lot of geeky girls. The thing that makes this example particularly glaring is that the girl in question just so happens to be the person who wrote the very comic he'd accused her of never having read.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2013, 08:55:42 pm »

I recall reading a post on Tumblr from a some chick who was out in public wearing a t-shirt with a character from a comic book on it. Some guy approached her to accuse her of never having actually read the comic and only wearing the shirt as a fashion statement -- a common occurrence for a lot of geeky girls. The thing that makes this example particularly glaring is that the girl in question just so happens to be the person who wrote the very comic he'd accused her of never having read.

Oh if only there was a video of that....such sublime ownage.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2013, 10:21:38 pm »
Hell, even if a girl does wear clothes of something she doesn't follow, it doesn't give nerd guys the right to call her a stupid fake bitch and demand she stop wearing it because she 'doesn't have the right.'  If she likes how it looks, she can wear it.  Geekdom is not some sacred culture that needs to be shut off from those  who aren't 'geek enough.'

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2013, 12:54:10 am »
It's the same "in crowd/out crowd" you see with any other perceived "group." It's why some clothing companies explicitly market their clothes ONLY to attractive, well-to-do people, destroying any leftovers to keep homeless people from using them and refusing to allow unattractive people to work in their stores.

The sad part is how much geeks and nerds would COMPLAIN about being told they "weren't good enough" to wear the "cool kid" clothes, then turn around and do the exact same thing.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2013, 11:27:34 am »
Not really a meme, but I found this:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W59O77mCRO4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W59O77mCRO4</a>

This is one of those rare times that I simply do not have a response.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2013, 01:36:35 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W59O77mCRO4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W59O77mCRO4</a>

Is this some kind of parody?
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline ScrappyB

• Bishop
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2013, 04:35:13 pm »
I've been a girl nerd since the early 80s when I was a kid. The thing is, I don't remember any of the hostility geek girls face today. Back then all the guy nerds I knew thought it was cool to have a girl interested in the same things they were. Is this a new thing, or was I just oblivious?

Maybe it has to do with the fact that back then someone had to insult you to your face, so the angry ones didn't have the fake courage mob mentality and anonymity brings. Now I have asshats telling me I'm not a "real nerd" when I've been playing video games and building computers longer than they've been alive.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 04:36:48 pm by ScrappyB »
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2013, 07:27:12 pm »

Yeah, that totally had me giggling after just a couple of lines. Would sound completely natural as a tune on Metalocolypse.
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2013, 11:20:40 am »

Yeah, that totally had me giggling after just a couple of lines. Would sound completely natural as a tune on Metalocolypse.
I do not know if it is a joke or not. I found it through got-djent.com, which is a legitimate forum for musicians to get their name out. I am assuming this is not meant to be taken seriously, as it is a little too over the top, but I cannot say for sure.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2013, 02:18:40 pm »

Now with persecution complex! By the left frontal lobe of the Sky Demon....
Who needs a signature?

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2013, 03:03:25 pm »
Too much angst, too much thinking, too much dwelling, too much analysis.....and not quite enough spell check.