Author Topic: And everyone here says, No Shit Sherlock.  (Read 4728 times)

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: And everyone here says, No Shit Sherlock.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 05:44:54 pm »
K and what are your feelings on the matter?

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 06:24:52 pm »
I have several objections to this study:

1. It uses IQ tests as a measure of intelligence, which have long been criticized as inaccurate (and possibly biased for certain socioeconomic or linguistic factors). (See here.)

2. There is a direct correlation between religiosity and levels of education, as the article acknowledges that "more intelligent people are [...] more likely to be successful in life," however you define intelligence. The less religious children in the study also had more access to higher education, which goes a long way in helping people avoid spiritual explanations for mundane phenomena. Even an unusually bright child will probably not be a religious skeptic if they live an isolated life without any education about the outside world.

TL;DR: Don't take this at face value as an indication that atheists, agnostics, etc. are somehow smarter. The factors that play into someone's intelligence, as well as their religiosity, don't occur in a vacuum and shouldn't be chalked up to a single number.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 11:09:29 pm »
^^ My apologies. I was so excited for a mainstream news story about atheists that didn't veer into how we're all unhappy/unfulfilled because we have nothing to believe in that I just went "Woohoo! Gotta share this one!" without a second thought.
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 12:29:11 am »
 Please dont just put links in posts by themselves, its asked on here to put a comment or summary with the link
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 07:51:41 am »
Frankly I'm not an atheist because I want to feel like a smug bastard. I'm an atheist because the pro-God folks didn't convince me that their position was correct, I still rather like some church music and old churches - York Minster is awesome.

Like the look of the new forums, thanks for keeping it alive.

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 04:54:54 pm »
I'm an atheist because every argument I've ever seen for god's existence had logical fallacies, and every religion ever disagrees with observed scientific fact, and I am not constitutionally capable of ignoring that kind of thing in favour of believing things just because it would be nice if they were true.
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 07:39:28 pm »
I'm an atheist because religion violates logic, and if there is any god or gods or goddess or goddesses and they have the power to change the world but they do not, they are assholes. The level of evil and cruelty in the world is sickening. I can't believe that there is a being or beings that would let it happen. If the Christians are right, I would rather be on Satan's side.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 09:21:52 pm »
I'm an atheist because religion violates logic, and if there is any god or gods or goddess or goddesses and they have the power to change the world but they do not, they are assholes.
Or they're lazy, preoccupied, or are watching us for their own amusement.
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 09:45:30 pm »
Or they're lazy, preoccupied, or are watching us for their own amusement.

Like Sims?
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 12:05:41 am »
I'm an atheist because I was never raised to be religious. My parents didn't even mention god or religion until I was old enough to think for myself and form my own opinion. I've never converted to any religion because:

I'm an atheist because every argument I've ever seen for god's existence had logical fallacies, and every religion ever disagrees with observed scientific fact, and I am not constitutionally capable of ignoring that kind of thing in favour of believing things just because it would be nice if they were true.

This.

I'm an atheist because religion violates logic, and if there is any god or gods or goddess or goddesses and they have the power to change the world but they do not, they are assholes. The level of evil and cruelty in the world is sickening. I can't believe that there is a being or beings that would let it happen. If the Christians are right, I would rather be on Satan's side.

And this.

Also, I just find the idea of gods and the supernatural to be hilariously childish and silly.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 05:16:06 am »
Well I'm a theist but although I find this study interesting I'd like to see more research on the matter.

What I see from the article seems to be a suggestion that religion is only a crutch that people use when they lack self control (obey these laws) or love (Don't worry about not being married, at least God loves you) but I don't think that is all that religions provide.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 05:49:40 am »
Well, the thing I note is that there are a lot of studies that say basically the same thing. Atheism is correlated with IQ, it's correlated with level of education, it's correlated with knowledge of religion...I don't know exactly what actual, real world trend that these studies are picking up on, but they're clearly picking up on something, & we're not likely to find out one day that all of those studies were wrong, & there's actually no significant connection between general knowledge & atheism.

Maybe it's not implicit to atheism itself, but theism. A lot of religions actively discourage open-mindedness, because then you might change your mind. If that wasn't the case, then maybe religious people, as a group, would score higher on these things.

And again, group vs. individual. If the article implies that religion is for stupid people, which I don't know because I did not read it, well, that's obviously wrong.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 06:10:35 am »
I wonder if it isn't that stupid people turn to religion, but being brainwashed into religion, especially at a young age, causes sometimes permanent damage to the mind.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 09:42:29 am »
If religion is a major part of your life from a young age, then you're more likely to be close-minded about it because it's second nature to you. It's what you know, it's what you grew up with, and a lot of people can't take criticism of something that they've believed their whole lives.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades