Author Topic: NYPD says mosques are terrorist organizations  (Read 2390 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
NYPD says mosques are terrorist organizations
« on: August 28, 2013, 12:38:59 pm »
Putting this in P&G because the issue is the police force, not the mosque.

Also, I'm having a sense of deja vu, so I'm not sure if Yahoo News is just re-showing old articles, or if this is reminding people what's going on.

http://news.yahoo.com/nypd-designates-mosques-terrorism-organizations-070801349.html

NEW YORK (AP) — The New York Police Department has secretly labeled entire mosques as terrorist organizations, a designation that allows police to use informants to record sermons and spy on imams, often without specific evidence of criminal wrongdoing.

Designating an entire mosque as a terrorism enterprise means that anyone who attends prayer services there is a potential subject of an investigation and fair game for surveillance.

The disclosures come as the NYPD is fighting off lawsuits accusing it of engaging in racial profiling while combating crime. Earlier this month, a judge ruled that the department's use of the stop-and-frisk tactic was unconstitutional.

The American Civil Liberties Union and two other groups have sued, saying the Muslim spying programs are unconstitutional and make Muslims afraid to practice their faith without police scrutiny.
View gallery."
Zein Rimawi, 59, center, a leader and founder of the …
Zein Rimawi, 59, center, a leader and founder of the Islamic Society of Bay Ridge and mosque, join a …

Both Mayor Mike Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly have denied those accusations. Speaking Wednesday on MSNBC's Morning Joe, Kelly reminded people that his intelligence-gathering programs began in the wake of 9/11.

"We follow leads wherever they take us," Kelly said. "We're not intimidated as to wherever that lead takes us. And we're doing that to protect the people of New York City."

Around that time, Kelly was handing out medals to the Arab American Association's soccer team, Brooklyn United, smiling and congratulating its players for winning the NYPD's soccer league.

Sarsour, a Muslim who has met with Kelly many times, said she felt betrayed.

"It creates mistrust in our organizations," said Sarsour, who was born and raised in Brooklyn. "It makes one wonder and question who is sitting on the boards of the institutions where we work and pray."

Before the NYPD could target mosques as terrorist groups, it had to persuade a federal judge to rewrite rules governing how police can monitor speech protected by the First Amendment.

I can't really pick and choose enough quotes to fully show the bad (and the good fighting against the bad) so please do actually read the article.

Seriously, though, this is blatant bigotry.  NYPD, the fuck is wrong with you.

Oh wait, America, that's what's wrong with you.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
Re: NYPD says mosques are terrorist organizations
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 01:33:49 pm »
The New York Police Department can go fuck itself.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

wrightway

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 02:23:21 pm »
The New York Police Department can go fuck itself.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 02:25:40 pm »
Reasons to fuck the police, #10,000,000,009,001
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 02:30:17 pm »
This is pretty offensive. I can understand the anger that the Muslims at these mosques feel after having this exposed. As one of them said, it will create tension in the community and that is unfortunate. The Muslim community in general are very kind and hospitable people and they don't need this kind of stuff, they already are trying to fight bigotry and trying to speak out against terrorism.

Really ever since 9/11 we've become the land of the paranoid.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 02:31:17 pm »
Nah, 9/11 just woke up the paranoid. We've always been the land of the paranoid. Our second president got rid of free speech. We've always been racist, backwards cunts.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 04:34:35 pm »
Talk about daring undercover work and peak excitement!

"Parker, I want you to audio-tape a Muslim sermon."

"But, Lieutenant ..."

"Don't argue with me, Parker."

<Parker walks outside and deliberately steps in front of a fast-moving bus>

I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 05:31:50 pm »
This reminds me of a story, I don't remember where it was from, but I saw it on the news a few years back. Essentially the police tried to set up a sting operation where they had a guy go to a mosque, and pretty much go up to random people and say "Pssst, hey, you wanna help me make a car bomb?". The members of the mosque where pretty freaked out, naturally, thinking "the hell is this crazy motherfucker doing here?". I think the police ended getting dozens of calls from concerned people who encountered the guy in the mosque that day. If I remember right, the chief didn't know until he saw all the reports and subsequently found out it was one of his own guy's operations, and he was pissed that they had done something this stupid.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 06:13:14 pm »
I have a feeling that might have been NYC.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 07:13:34 pm »
I have a feeling that might have been NYC.

I have the same feeling, oddly.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 08:26:29 pm »
Putting this in P&G because the issue is the police force, not the mosque.

Also, I'm having a sense of deja vu, so I'm not sure if Yahoo News is just re-showing old articles, or if this is reminding people what's going on.

http://news.yahoo.com/nypd-designates-mosques-terrorism-organizations-070801349.html

NEW YORK (AP) — The New York Police Department has secretly labeled entire mosques as terrorist organizations, a designation that allows police to use informants to record sermons and spy on imams, often without specific evidence of criminal wrongdoing.

Designating an entire mosque as a terrorism enterprise means that anyone who attends prayer services there is a potential subject of an investigation and fair game for surveillance.

The disclosures come as the NYPD is fighting off lawsuits accusing it of engaging in racial profiling while combating crime. Earlier this month, a judge ruled that the department's use of the stop-and-frisk tactic was unconstitutional.

The American Civil Liberties Union and two other groups have sued, saying the Muslim spying programs are unconstitutional and make Muslims afraid to practice their faith without police scrutiny.
View gallery."
Zein Rimawi, 59, center, a leader and founder of the …
Zein Rimawi, 59, center, a leader and founder of the Islamic Society of Bay Ridge and mosque, join a …

Both Mayor Mike Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly have denied those accusations. Speaking Wednesday on MSNBC's Morning Joe, Kelly reminded people that his intelligence-gathering programs began in the wake of 9/11.

"We follow leads wherever they take us," Kelly said. "We're not intimidated as to wherever that lead takes us. And we're doing that to protect the people of New York City."

Around that time, Kelly was handing out medals to the Arab American Association's soccer team, Brooklyn United, smiling and congratulating its players for winning the NYPD's soccer league.

Sarsour, a Muslim who has met with Kelly many times, said she felt betrayed.

"It creates mistrust in our organizations," said Sarsour, who was born and raised in Brooklyn. "It makes one wonder and question who is sitting on the boards of the institutions where we work and pray."

Before the NYPD could target mosques as terrorist groups, it had to persuade a federal judge to rewrite rules governing how police can monitor speech protected by the First Amendment.

I can't really pick and choose enough quotes to fully show the bad (and the good fighting against the bad) so please do actually read the article.

Seriously, though, this is blatant bigotry.  NYPD, the fuck is wrong with you.

Oh wait, America, that's what's wrong with you.

I didn't realize that the NYPD was run by Frank Gaffney.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 08:46:25 pm »
I have and always will despise the NYPD. If not because of the rampant racism that is never curbed then because of the rampant corruption tinging every single corner of the department. They need to nuke and pave the department. Start over with brand new police chiefs and everything else. The Governor and mayors also need to be curbed.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 08:54:49 pm »
I have and always will despise the NYPD. If not because of the rampant racism that is never curbed then because of the rampant corruption tinging every single corner of the department. They need to nuke and pave the department. Start over with brand new police chiefs and everything else. The Governor and mayors also need to be curbed.
I'll give this state's governor credit, he signed gay marriage into law. Besides, my old Geometry teacher grew up with him (their parents were close) and fucking hates his guts, so he's doing something right ^_^

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 12:24:46 pm »
Cuomo is actually trying to curb the nypd

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 12:27:55 pm »
Shit like this just aides my growing antipathy of authority, notably police force.