Author Topic: Dialect Quiz (Different than the ones I've seen before).  (Read 9059 times)

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
Re: Dialect Quiz (Different than the ones I've seen before).
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2013, 04:22:06 am »
I got "Posh Totty" in the British accent one.  Which is funny because, whilst I am most certainly not posh
(I'm not sure posh people swear nearly every sentence - it's an Irish thing), a lot of people where I'm from think I'm posh because I don't have a local sounding accent and I can pronounce words correctly. Basically, in my neck of the woods not sounding like a fucking moron = posh.

My accent tends to confuse a lot of people too; most don't seem to be able to decide what my accent is and I get asked where I'm from a lot.  People tend not to even guess, they don't usually ask, "Are from [such and such a place]?" it's almost always, "Where are you from?" like they have no idea at all.

Although a lot of other people think I'm American.  Which puzzles me because I don't use American words or pronounciations; my pronounciations are very much English.  Plus I over-use the words "well" and "proper" as adjectives ("That's proper fucked," and "I'm well happy about that." for example) - that's a very distinctly Englsh habbit I picked up in uni.  I've never heard an American talk like that, ever.  Yet I talk like that all the time so I've no idea what leads people to think I'm American.

Also, when I was Australia at least one local mistook me as being Australian.  So I don't know what the fuck is going on with my accent.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2013, 04:31:49 pm »
I would feel the most home in two towns of California (Modesto and Stockton) and Hawaii (Honolulu).

I also seriously had no idea drive-in liquor stores were a thing. Maybe I haven't been around one or remembered seeing one (I'm in Southeastern Texas).

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2013, 05:15:26 pm »
They're kind of localized here and there sporadically in the Southern and Midwestern states, it seems.  I've seen one in KY, and a friend of mine mentioned one in OH and his wife knows of one in W. VA.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2013, 06:31:58 pm »
They had them up in Ohio but I haven't seen one down here.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2013, 06:42:11 pm »
I think you're below the Brew-Thru demarcation line.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2013, 12:07:39 am »
I tried the Canadian dialect quiz, and failed spectacularly (10%). I think it could be because I live almost South of the Border rather than "North of the Border."

I also tried the British dialect quiz. I ranked "Chavvy" (80%), as in those white Brits who think they're black Brits, the United Kingdom equivalent to our American "wigger."

I don't know what to say about this other than "gross."
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 12:09:12 am by Alehksunos »

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2013, 12:31:29 am »
Apparently my dialect comes from Boston, or somewhere in the vicinity. I've taken it three times and always get Boston, plus two other cities right next.

Which is weird, because I've never been to Boston. Or the East Coast. Or anywhere else in the US, for that matter.

My British accent is 77% Normal.
Σא

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2013, 05:25:05 am »
Like I said earlier, nowadays it doesn't really matter quite so much where you were born or grew up, as telecommunications and the world getting smaller and smaller via the internet is sort of homogenizing all of English.  I've heard terms in this country the last decade that I only heard on British TV when I was growing up.  There'll still be dialectical differences to some extent, but as far as everyday language, not counting colloquialisms and someone's Dixie showing when they get drunk...  I think it's pretty normal to show up across the board for some folks, as some are more receptive to subconsciously copying the accents they hear than others.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2013, 02:06:03 pm »
Apparently my dialect comes from Boston, or somewhere in the vicinity. I've taken it three times and always get Boston, plus two other cities right next.

Which is weird, because I've never been to Boston. Or the East Coast. Or anywhere else in the US, for that matter.

My British accent is 77% Normal.

Your British accent result is key, I think, to your Boston results on the other quiz. Beacon Hill/upper class blue bloods in Boston have a posh, pommy factor to their speech.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2013, 03:16:17 pm »
Although I've only taken the quiz once, I'm a bit freaked out by how much the heat map appears to have pinpointed me in the heart of the country  Having said that, there were a few times when there wasn't an "interchangeable" option, so I just had to choose just a tad arbitrarily.

Here's my map

Also...

Apparently Honolulu, Atlanta and Glendale are the most Australian-sounding cities in the US. Though according to some of the various options the quiz presented, you guys have some really weird names for things.

Not just weird names for things, but weird pronunciations of things.  Some of the pronunciation questions had answers that I had difficulty processing/imagining.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 03:19:36 pm by B-Man »
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2014, 02:29:02 pm »
LOL, mine is totally spot on, on my location.

NY-NJ States(very fitting given that I live in the mid-Hudson valley area of NY)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2014, 04:24:54 pm »
I did it again (and they asked about different words this time I actually had a word for) and got Pembroke Pines, Ft. Lauderdale, and Newark. Um. Outside of Florida, I am not very similar at all to the other Southern states. My dialect comes from the North.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

shykid

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2014, 12:04:58 am »
(click to show/hide)

ETA: My cities are Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, and Jacksonville. Also spoiler tag'd map.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 12:15:13 am by shy »

Offline Bezron

• a mysterious riddled spicy burrito wrapped enigma...stuck in some hot chick's colon dreaming of fanginas
  • Pope
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2014, 04:50:25 pm »
Stocton, Modesto, Fresno.  This actually makes sense, since:

1. My mother's family is from California, I have spent a lot of time there and actually lived there when I was little and again in my early 20's.
2. According to the map, those areas and Chicago are very similar in relation to dialects.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2014, 07:17:25 am »
Re-did it, and got fairly similar results:

"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)