Author Topic: Dialect Quiz (Different than the ones I've seen before).  (Read 9072 times)

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: Dialect Quiz (Different than the ones I've seen before).
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2014, 12:44:34 pm »
^Wow, you're very north plains-y.   I'm not even sure I know what that kind of accent would sound like.  I want to say like the folks in the movie "Fargo" but I know those were just stereotypes.

EDIT:  I couldn't help but notice it's like a direct reverse of my map, except my red extends a little farther into the west than your blue.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 12:47:02 pm by The Doctor »

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2014, 02:47:15 pm »
I'm actually a little surprised that Wisconsin wasn't more similar, given that several Americans have told me I sound like I'm from there. Could be dialect differences, though, rather than an accent thing.

Wasn't too surprised to see Minnesota full of dark red, though.

It would be kind of neat if everyone here uploaded an audio sample of them saying some of the words from the test, so we could compare. I'm curious to hear some of your accents.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2014, 05:25:19 pm »

It would be kind of neat if everyone here uploaded an audio sample of them saying some of the words from the test, so we could compare. I'm curious to hear some of your accents.

I actually did an accent video two years ago.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyKFCpIcO7I" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyKFCpIcO7I</a>
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2014, 09:01:28 pm »
You can always dig through the old voice thread for samples.
Σא

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2014, 05:37:25 am »

Tempted, but I really, really fucking hate the sound of my own voice.  I coud just not listen to my own sample, but I know morbid curiosity would get the better of me, always does.

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2014, 07:12:19 am »

Tempted, but I really, really fucking hate the sound of my own voice.  I coud just not listen to my own sample, but I know morbid curiosity would get the better of me, always does.

Me too. I hate how my voice sounds when I hear it played back.

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2014, 03:29:36 pm »
Didn't someone(s) somewhere do a study or something that said the vast majority of people hate their own voice when it's played back to them?

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2014, 03:51:26 pm »
Didn't someone(s) somewhere do a study or something that said the vast majority of people hate their own voice when it's played back to them?

I know that you hear your own voice differently from how it actually sounds, so I wouldn't be surprised if most people had a negative reaction to hearing their own voice.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2014, 04:12:03 pm »
I did it again (and they asked about different words this time I actually had a word for) and got Pembroke Pines, Ft. Lauderdale, and Newark. Um. Outside of Florida, I am not very similar at all to the other Southern states. My dialect comes from the North.

All in Broward County, which is chock full of former New Jersey-ites, for some reason. I grew up a bit down the interstate from there in Miami, so I remember that Broward County accent thing.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2014, 08:40:48 pm »
So I gave it a try.  I apparently sound like someone from Boston.  Which is strange, because I couldn't speak with a Boston twang if my life depended on it.

Then again, I was doing a Let's Play for an old game, so maybe I could.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgenSUlulfY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgenSUlulfY</a>
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2014, 10:09:44 pm »
Since when is "the devil is beating his wife" or "the wolf is giving birth" a slang term for rain falling on a sunny day?

In Florida, we just call that rain. We get enough of it.

Anyways, I'm most similar to Tuscon, Las Vegas, and Sunrise Manor, Nevada. I'm actually similar to the vast majority of the United States, most predominately the west, some of the Midwest, Florida, and most of New England.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2014, 12:36:30 am »
I've heard of "The Devil is beating his wife", but I always heard it to refer to thunder, not the rain itself, nor it happening on a sunny day.

EDIT:  Brought to mind what my grandmama used to call chicken eggs.  "Henapples" or "Cackleberries".
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 12:42:18 am by The Doctor »

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2014, 12:43:40 am »
I've heard of "The Devil is beating his wife", but I always heard it to refer to thunder, not the rain itself, nor it happening on a sunny day.

EDIT:  Brought to mind what my grandma used to call chicken eggs.  "Henapples" or "Cackleberries".
My dad calls it a "Creedence baptism", though I've never heard anyone else use that term. I assume it refers to the old CCR song asking "have you ev-aar, seen, the rain? Coming down, on a sun-ny daaay?"
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2014, 12:58:42 am »
I've always liked that song because I can relate to it.

I like the color of the landscape when the sun is shining and there's rain.  Everything green gets more vivid and... it's hard to explain.  Never had a particular name for it.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2014, 03:04:57 am »
I got West Coast, specifically California, although I did have a hot spot in New York. This makes sense, since my mother is from New York.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!