Author Topic: 11 year old attempts suicide after being bullied for liking MLP  (Read 9315 times)

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: 11 year old attempts suicide after being bullied for liking MLP
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2014, 09:02:10 pm »
We in the pony fandom have been taken advantage of before... I hate the idea that this might be a scam, and I'm genuinely worried that it is.

What's worse is that the backlash then resounds and bounces off other, genuine things that need help and situations like this.  And most will turn their backs on it because they've been burned by scammers.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2014, 09:35:35 pm »
The brony community is also an easy target for scams like this. Making a story about a young member of the fandom nearly killing himself is the perfect way to get hundreds or even thousands to donate; I think they're nearing $20,000 in donations right now.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2014, 10:13:23 pm »
There's been some more looking into it by the same people I mentioned before. Behind the spoiler tag is the current set of facts that one listed as we know:

(click to show/hide)

Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2014, 12:09:32 am »
Take all that in together, in context; scam.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2014, 12:14:21 am »
I'm starting to think it was a good idea for me to urge Rusty to not donate yet.

I'm going to upgrade that suggestion to "don't donate ever."
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2014, 06:04:13 am »
Well, that's depressing... I'll holler at Sethisto, see if we can't get a news post going about this.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline WatermelonRat

• Apprentice
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2014, 09:36:09 pm »
Take all that in together, in context; scam.
It's real.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2014, 11:14:51 pm »
THE ABOVE PICTURE IS THE AFOREMENTIONED PICTURE OF A YOUNG BOY IN A NECK BRACE IN A HOSPITAL BED WITH TUBES STICKING OUT OF HIM. DO NOT CLICK IF THIS BOTHERS YOU.

Now that that's out of the way...

...said picture was mentioned before and all it shows is a boy in a hospital bed with some plus My Little Ponies around him. MLP is a popular show and, unfortunately, there is no shortage of ill or injured children who are fans of it. The existence of this picture isn't definitive proof that the whole story is true. The number of concerning factors is still too big to ignore.

A sick part of me is just hoping at this point that the story is, indeed, true. Because at this point the only alternative is that someone is using sympathy and exploiting the public--including using a picture of someone's injured or ill child--just to get money under the guise of donations.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2014, 12:45:32 am »
I still think this is a scam. I just REALLY want to see the reaction from people that didnt do their research on what they were donating to
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2014, 12:50:48 am »
I still think this is a scam. I just REALLY want to see the reaction from people that didnt do their research on what they were donating to
I will say I would like to say I would want to see brony rage directed at something productive, rather than bitching about shitty blogs being removed or a character getting wings.

Offline WatermelonRat

• Apprentice
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2014, 12:03:39 pm »
There are now several news articles about him, including an ABC one that contains a video showing an interview with the parents.
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=9418200
http://www.chicagonow.com/portrait-of-an-adoption/2014/02/11-yr-old-boy-bullied-for-being-a-brony-fighting-for-life-after-suicide-attempt-how-you-can-help/
http://www.heavy.com/news/2014/02/my-little-pony-fan-bullied-michael-morones/

There's also a note regarding it from the company that employs his stepfather:
http://www.playteamtrivia.com/news.php?id=78

It's good to keep a healthy sense of skepticism when it comes to things on the internet, but at this point it's starting to feel more like denialism.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 12:06:52 pm by WatermelonRat »

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2014, 01:36:14 pm »
My heart goes out to that little boy, and now I will contribute to his recovery fund. It is still kind of disconcerting that it took 10 days for the story to break in the mainstream media, though. Skepticism when it comes to viral stories is a very healthy thing, too, considering how many of these appeals turn out to be fraudulent. I sincerely wish this one Had been fraudulent, for Michael Morone's sake. :'(
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2014, 02:20:55 pm »
It sounds like his parents were very supportive, which I guess goes to show just how deeply bullying can effect you. My own experience in middle school was similar, a supportive home but bullied at school, and I too contemplated taking my life. I hope he pulls through without too much permanent damage.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2014, 09:35:58 pm »
Good.  Glad this is real.  Well not that it's real but you know what I mean.

Ironbite-I'll just let myself out.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2014, 10:50:47 pm »
Good.  Glad this is real.  Well not that it's real but you know what I mean.

Ironbite-I'll just let myself out.

I understand what you were trying to say even if you couldn't say it :P
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet