Author Topic: Congress may give Native American land to mining company  (Read 3355 times)

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
Congress may give Native American land to mining company
« on: December 10, 2014, 09:04:25 pm »
http://rt.com/usa/211531-native-indian-lands-mining/
Now where're heading to the 1850's...
(Apologies if I fucked everything up)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 09:39:07 pm by I am lizard »

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
Re: Congress may give Native American land to mining company
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 09:07:35 pm »
It's not even been voted on yet, as far I know. Thus, there's still time to prevent it's passing.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Congress gives Native American land to mining company
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 09:11:48 pm »
And there's a big black man who can just veto this.

Ironbite-panic when it happens.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 09:39:19 pm »
Apologies i fucked up.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 10:10:58 pm »
Apologies i fucked up.

It's okay.  We've all made mistakes.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
Re: Congress gives Native American land to mining company
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 02:10:57 am »
And there's a big black man who can just veto this.

Ironbite-panic when it happens.

Lets see, the big black man vetoing something that will increase a wealthy corporation's profits? Its going to pass so quickly and easily that you wont even see it in congress. It will just wiz in and wiz out passed.

Then again, perhaps I am being overly cynical. Perhaps something magical will happen and it wont.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 02:13:16 am »
Or perhaps this will simply be delayed until Jeb Bush (or some other Republican) is elected in 2016.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 02:16:23 pm »
http://rt.com/usa/211531-native-indian-lands-mining/
Now where're heading to the 1850's...
(Apologies if I fucked everything up)

Really? FUCK. THIS. SHIT. After all the broken treaties, all the genocidal massacres, and just when we seemed to be making a little progress in healing old wounds some asshole decides to set us back by 150 years. Haven't these people suffered enough already?

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 10:34:48 am »
Fuck, its a rider bill on the NDAA? Yep, its gonna pass.

“Its your ancesteral burial and medicenal ground? Fuck you, there's copper under them thar bones!"
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 10:59:01 am »
This is not the first time I'm amazed about the stupidity of the whole rider bill system. Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 03:05:32 pm »
This is not the first time I'm amazed about the stupidity of the whole rider bill system. Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

The same people who thought it might be a good idea to be able to change bills from their originally introduced form to something a majority of legislators would be willing to vote for. Amendments are not an inherently bad thing.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 03:17:56 pm »

The same people who thought it might be a good idea to be able to change bills from their originally introduced form to something a majority of legislators would be willing to vote for. Amendments are not an inherently bad thing.
Amending a bill is a different issue and it's a good parliamentary practice. Not requiring the amendments to directly relate to the original bill is what's broken.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 03:31:18 pm »

Amending a bill is a different issue and it's a good parliamentary practice. Not requiring the amendments to directly relate to the original bill is what's broken.

Sure, but who decides what's related to the original bill? Similar provisions elsewhere (like the "money bill" provision in the Parliament Act 1911 in the UK) work because the person making the decision (in that case, the Speaker of the House of Commons) is strictly non-partisan, but there's no comparable position in the US.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 03:47:48 pm »
Sure, but who decides what's related to the original bill? Similar provisions elsewhere (like the "money bill" provision in the Parliament Act 1911 in the UK) work because the person making the decision (in that case, the Speaker of the House of Commons) is strictly non-partisan, but there's no comparable position in the US.
Not having a position or a mechanic to decide such issue is a serious flaw in the system. You gave yourself an example showing that it is possible to have a control mechanism for amendments in a political system.

Edit: fixed a typo
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 02:57:20 am by SCarpelan »

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 08:15:38 pm »
What was that old Playstation game, like ten years ago, where you roll around a ball creature and collect everything into it's mass, like a rolling snowball? Yeah, that's what these rider add-on bill packages look like. Just hundreds of unrelated random bills, all stuck together in an unappetizing cancerous blob, several hundred to several thousands of pages long. The shear mass of written material hides a lot of rats and roaches, basically.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.