Author Topic: National Elections Thread  (Read 79992 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: National Elections Thread
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2016, 07:56:24 am »
...But Clinton is still marginally preferable compared to Trump.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2016, 10:23:26 am »
He'd end up getting killed faster than Garfield.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2016, 01:30:04 pm »
His old comment about the Tiananmen Square is practically an advertisement for him. That's exactly what his supporters want to hear.

When the students poured into Tiananmen Square, the Chinese government almost blew it. Then they were vicious, they were horrible, but they put it down with strength. That shows you the power of strength. Our country is right now perceived as weak... as being spit on by the rest of the world.

An authoritarian wants a strong leader to feel safe. In their mind a strong leader just knows when he has to make a few sacrifices on the morality to achieve stability and safety...

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2016, 07:23:48 pm »
Press F to pay respects

Debbie Wasserman Schultz Resigns As Democratic Party Chair

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2016, 12:04:36 am »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/debbie-wasserman-schulz-resignation-wikileaks-emails-dnc-1.3693204

Debbie Wasserman Schultz is stepping down as chair of the DNC.

Debbie Wasserman Schultz says she is stepping down as Democratic Party chairwoman at the end of this week's convention.

The Florida congresswoman has been under fire following the publication of leaked internal emails by Wikileaks suggesting the Democratic National Committee favoured Hillary Clinton in the presidential primaries.

That prompted runner-up Bernie Sanders on Sunday to call for Wasserman Schultz's immediate resignation.

In a statement, Wasserman Schultz says she still plans to fulfil her duties formally opening and closing the convention in Philadelphia. She also says she will speak at the four-day gathering.

Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2016, 05:49:08 am »
http://bients.com/julian-assange-next-leak-will-ensure-hillarys-arrest/

Does anyone think that IF Clinton got arrested there could be any other result than Trump winning the elections? Because I don't see any other candidate having a chance at beating Trump anymore and although 1342014th claim that THIS TIME we can prove that Hillary Clinton definitely did something so bad that she would get arrested for it is well into "beating a dead horse" territory it is possible that the endlessly repeated claims will at least hurt her popularity regardless of the truth behind the claims.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2016, 06:41:01 am »

Does anyone think that IF Clinton got arrested there could be any other result than Trump winning the elections? Because I don't see any other candidate having a chance at beating Trump anymore and although 1342014th claim that THIS TIME we can prove that Hillary Clinton definitely did something so bad that she would get arrested for it is well into "beating a dead horse" territory it is possible that the endlessly repeated claims will at least hurt her popularity regardless of the truth behind the claims.

Bernie reveals he is actually a lich and leads his legions of skeleton warriors to do battle with Daddy Trump and his KKK platoons throughout the shadow realms to decide the fate of Earth once and for all.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2016, 09:18:29 am »

That quote was said a month ago, so he was talking about the email dump that everyone's on now.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2016, 09:38:29 am »
Oh. So it's less "Hillary did a bad thing" and more "The party wanted to make sure that their member became the candidate rather than the outsider?"

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2016, 09:53:08 am »
Does anyone think that IF Clinton got arrested there could be any other result than Trump winning the elections?

Purely speculatively: if Clinton got somehow eliminated from the race the main way I could see Trump losing is if the Democratic party started promoting a third-party candidate. If Johnson or Stein negotiated a deal with the Democrats they could have a chance in beating the Orange One. Otherwise the Democratic voters would probably be divided between the two of them with neither one gaining the majority. Even in that case Johnson could have some kind of chance of beating Trump since if he got into a position as a credible challenger he would draw votes also from the Republican side.

But yeah, the e-mail dump and other such issues might cause her to lose some votes since people keep beating that drum. I expect the main beneficiaries are probably third parties and not Trump unless the voters in the battleground states get really dumb. We'll see how things start going when the propaganda arms of both big parties get the heavy artillery out.

Oh. So it's less "Hillary did a bad thing" and more "The party wanted to make sure that their member became the candidate rather than the outsider?"
That's what was the main result of the dump. When saying Hillary would get arrested Assange referred to her telling someone to edit the mention of the security clearance out from an email but the FBI investigation deemed it as carelessness and not malicious.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2016, 10:15:27 am »
Let's be honest. Even if the votes go from Clinton to third party candidates Trump will be the one who will benefit the most from this. Those votes will be wasted unless they manage to get past the critical point and I seriously doubt that.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2016, 10:28:10 am »
I don't remember the details but the smaller parties need certain amount of votes for easier ballot access in the next election. That's why they will benefit from being able to draw voters away from the two unpopular big party candidates. In clearly red or blue states this will be a bigger factor but in the battleground state voters are harder to draw away since they know their votes are critical for actually winning the election.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2016, 10:34:53 am »
I don't remember the details but the smaller parties need certain amount of votes for easier ballot access in the next election. That's why they will benefit from being able to draw voters away from the two unpopular big party candidates. In clearly red or blue states this will be a bigger factor but in the battleground state voters are harder to draw away since they know their votes are critical for actually winning the election.

I don't know.  Here in FL, which I believe is still a battleground state, it seems most people want either Trump or Johnson, and Johnson is pretty popular, at least here in N FL. 
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2016, 11:21:22 am »

I don't know.  Here in FL, which I believe is still a battleground state, it seems most people want either Trump or Johnson, and Johnson is pretty popular, at least here in N FL.
I stand corrected. Hearing people talk about the importance of voting tactically has led me to believe that's a common way of thinking. Looking at the actual election results and polling data seems to refute that. By the way, this look at the data made me really worried. I hope Clinton gets a good boost from the convention.

Still, the third parties seem to get votes from both big parties and battleground state or not the winner in the polls doesn't seem to change when you put Johnson and Stein in. http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/state/

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2016, 01:17:59 pm »
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".