Author Topic: National Elections Thread  (Read 78981 times)

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
Re: National Elections Thread
« Reply #630 on: November 09, 2016, 01:31:48 pm »
*Sips beer*

I sold all my property and used the money to buy gold and guns. Glenn Beck told me that's all I need so I should be fine.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #631 on: November 09, 2016, 01:58:53 pm »
*Sips beer*

I sold all my property and used the money to buy gold and guns. Glenn Beck told me that's all I need so I should be fine.

Hang on, isn't Glenn Beck on your side when it comes to trump? 

In fairness, I didn't realise he was still relevant in this day and age...besides you people have way too many barely distinguishable talking heads.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 02:01:50 pm by TheContrarian »

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #632 on: November 09, 2016, 02:52:55 pm »
Last night they interviewed Beck, and he's done a complete 180.  He apologized to the American people, said he was wrong about Obama, and said we need to stick together.

Trump elected and Beck as the voice of reason.  What a night.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #633 on: November 09, 2016, 03:48:35 pm »
You have to admit, he'd at least be better than The Annoying Orange.

Of course, we've also got Congressional elections in two years, yes?  Perhaps, if we can weather the storm until then, Dems will get the majority after Drumpf's first two years are down the proverbial toilet, and they can stonewall it so that, unless it actually does try a coup, it wouldn't be able to do shit.

Though, what about those rape charges?  Wouldn't being a convicted felon bar Drumpf from the Presidency, allowing Hillary to be the de facto President, or at least give her another shot?
Frankly I would not be at all surprised if the rethuglicans knife their "outsider" and throw him under a court shaped bus. The US would still have a Christofascist regime but at least it would be a punch in the kidneys to the alt-right.

Still, I really doubt Trump would pick an attorney general who'd actually enforce the law against people like him.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
« Reply #634 on: November 09, 2016, 03:51:55 pm »

Of course, we've also got Congressional elections in two years, yes?  Perhaps, if we can weather the storm until then, Dems will get the majority after Drumpf's first two years are down the proverbial toilet, and they can stonewall it so that, unless it actually does try a coup, it wouldn't be able to do shit.

Though, what about those rape charges?  Wouldn't being a convicted felon bar Drumpf from the Presidency, allowing Hillary to be the de facto President, or at least give her another shot?
Frankly I would not be at all surprised if the rethuglicans knife their "outsider" and throw him under a court shaped bus. The US would still have a Christofascist regime but at least it would be a punch in the kidneys to the alt-right.

Still, I really doubt Trump would pick an attorney general who'd actually enforce the law against people like him.

From what i've seen, you could do a lot worse than Trey Gowdy.  I believe there was talk of him being appointed AG.

Going off speeches i've seen of his on the youtubes he seems like an anti-racist and anti-bullshit constitutionalist.  He may even be pro-choice. 

You might like it...

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #635 on: November 09, 2016, 03:54:12 pm »
*Sips beer*

In fairness, I didn't realise he was still relevant in this day and age...besides you people have way too many barely distinguishable talking heads.
That's a big reason why I trust him enough to take his advice about confronting the apocalypse. On your side of the fence Alex Jones has also some intriguing ideas but I'm afraid that his super male vitality pills would destroy my effeminate liberalism that is so important to my core identity.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #636 on: November 09, 2016, 03:59:01 pm »
anti-racist and anti-bullshit constitutionalist.  He may even be pro-choice. 
Well, he's out.

Next.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
« Reply #637 on: November 09, 2016, 04:01:34 pm »
*Sips beer*

That's a big reason why I trust him enough to take his advice about confronting the apocalypse. On your side of the fence Alex Jones has also some intriguing ideas but I'm afraid that his super male vitality pills would destroy my effeminate liberalism that is so important to my core identity.

Alex Jones is a bit like wikipedia.  You just need to know how to filter out the absolute shit surrounding the salient points and then go on to other places to work out what's actually going on.

In amongst all the stream of conciousness batshit and ridiculous product placement he brings up specific incidents and people that have been reported on by sane grownups (but still stuff that's contrary to the narrative that NBC, CNN or the fucking BBC are pushing).

If something he says sounds even remotely plausible, googling it to see if it's anywhere outside his fever dream doesn't hurt.

Although, I guess if you believe anything that is counter to what the DNC is pushing you're an active agent of the Kremlin, right?  Funny how you all seem to have unmasked Assange as a russian spy the moment he started releasing Hillary's dirty laundry :3

Art Vandelay

« Reply #638 on: November 09, 2016, 05:35:44 pm »
*sips tea*

Evening, chaps.  How's your apocalypse going?
With much wailing and gnashing of teeth now, probably followed by a whole lot of nothing in, oh, give it about a week.

Kind of like a 2009-era Facebook layout change.

For real though, you guys need to lay off the dramatics. It's going to suck, don't get me wrong, but it's far from the impending apocalypse you all seem to think it is. Think less 1984 and more another four to eight years of Reagan/Bush.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
« Reply #639 on: November 09, 2016, 05:41:45 pm »
*sips tea*

With much wailing and gnashing of teeth now, probably followed by a whole lot of nothing in, oh, give it about a week.

For real though, you guys need to lay off the dramatics. It's going to suck, don't get me wrong, but it's far from the impending apocalypse you all seem to think it is. Think less 1984 and more another four to eight years of Reagan/Bush.

Well, unlike 2000 you've avoided electing a president coming in with ready-made plans for full scale military intervention in a middle-eastern nation.

Even better, since Hillary's plans would have lead to direct conflict with the Russians.  Well played, I guess?

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #640 on: November 09, 2016, 06:54:23 pm »
*sips tea*

Hope you're right.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #641 on: November 09, 2016, 07:06:22 pm »

There have been two other times in the last century where the Republicans controlled all three branches of the federal government. They directly lead to the two worst economic crises in the country's history.
Who needs a signature?

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #642 on: November 09, 2016, 07:11:36 pm »
*sips tea*

Obamacare. Fewer insured means dead people.

Climate change.

Supreme court. The best case scenario is 5-4 conservative. 6-3 is probable, even 7-2 is possible. Abortion, minority rights, worker rights, money in politics... Decisions about these issues will stand for decades.

This is just from the top of my head. Bush style foreign policy also sounds a lot of fun.

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #643 on: November 09, 2016, 07:35:12 pm »

No.  He'd be much, much worse.  Trump is a buffoon, but Pence is a fanatic.  He'll be pushing his agenda from day one.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #644 on: November 09, 2016, 08:34:35 pm »
Just a wee point on Republican presidents. The nuttiness in Reagan and Bush jr were emergent properites that became known after they got their claws stuck into power. Bush has displayed vengefulness, meglomania and an ability to make huge financial fuckups before getting anywhere near the White House.

So there's that!