Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 387988 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #3420 on: June 06, 2020, 02:33:42 am »
Ah, I got that part wrong. I thought Castile had revealed the gun. Nonetheless he did inform the officer of his gun, as the law required.

There's a case to be made that Castile died because he followed the law--knowing he had a gun may well have made the cop more nervous.

And as for the cop's acting "reasonably", let's keep in mind that the legal standard allowing cops in the US to get away with killing people is ludicrously lower than that for anyone else.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #3421 on: June 09, 2020, 04:04:02 am »
Ah, I got that part wrong. I thought Castile had revealed the gun. Nonetheless he did inform the officer of his gun, as the law required.

There's a case to be made that Castile died because he followed the law--knowing he had a gun may well have made the cop more nervous.

He wouldn't be the only one. You can comply as much as possible and still be murdered.

Offline DarkPhoenix

• Bishop
« Reply #3422 on: June 09, 2020, 08:47:45 pm »
Just what the fuck has Donald Trump been doing? I mean I don't want him to get re elected at all but doesn't he realize this is an election year? Yet he continues to quadruple down on his strategy of appealing to maybe thirty five percent of the country. That might have worked in 2016 because A the electorate didn't know how Trump would govern, and B the electorate hated Hillary just as much, but in the most challenging year of his presidency with a global pandemic, a recession and riots and protests. He's been hands off, blames everyone else and even incites more violence. Instead of trying to unite a wounded country he continues to divide it even more. This strategy didn't work for him in 2018 and it's gotten worse. He either A thinks he's invincible, B doesn't believe what polls are telling him,  C figures he has nothing to lose so he might as well take the country down with him.

Donald is so narcissistic, he believes that he can change reality itself to whatever he wants it to be.  Thus, he thinks this plan will work.

Plus, remember that the loud 35% of Trump supporters believe they are the great majority.  So does Donald.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #3423 on: June 09, 2020, 10:48:24 pm »
Trump's approval rating is sliding downward, and even now, he refuses to accept anything not presented to him by sycophants as factual.

It's, again, like Hitler toward the end of World War II - a mess of paranoia, hate and ranting lunacy. Considering the bunker, I wonder if Trump after being beaten in the election would end it all the same way - in the bunker.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #3424 on: June 10, 2020, 12:20:22 am »
And despite him tanking in the polls with just five months to go I still feel like he'll win.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3425 on: June 10, 2020, 02:04:25 am »
And despite him tanking in the polls with just five months to go I still feel like he'll win.

Because his supporters' enthusiasm level is sky-high, while Biden's supporters' enthusiasm level is decidedly not. And if there's bad weather or the polling place got moved or whatever, that can make all the difference in determining whether someone comes out to vote.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #3426 on: June 10, 2020, 02:05:47 am »
Yeah, there's a reason I'm not assuming Trump will lose until the votes are counted.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3427 on: June 10, 2020, 05:02:56 am »
Yeah, the next election will not be over before there is a civil war in USA.

I'm not sure if Trump will try to cancel the elections or not but shots will be fired one way or another.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #3428 on: June 10, 2020, 02:37:08 pm »
It also doesn't help when I see otherwise intelligent people hop onto the "I can't tell who's worse" bandwagon while taking everything that Biden says that can come across as bad out of context. In 2016 all fucking over again in so many ways.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #3429 on: June 10, 2020, 03:06:46 pm »
The only way Trump can win is to make Biden look worse than him. Which he and the media are going to do a lot of the next five months.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3430 on: June 13, 2020, 02:14:11 am »
I was trying to remember this name... Walter Scott, the guy murdered by being shot in the back by a cop as he was running away, the cop being acquitted due to a hung jury, since reportedly one juror refused to convict a cop on general principle. (Which I would think would disqualify you from being a juror when a cop is on trial.)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3431 on: June 13, 2020, 03:36:54 am »
There are also several occasions of police shooting people who were sleeping in their cars. Without waking them up.

The 5 officers who shot a sleeping couple, for example, appear to have gotten away with it legally speaking, though it is hard to know the truth because I can't seem to access the stories without the websites asking for money or telling me to turn off my adblocker.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/couple-killed-inglewood-police-shooting-asleep-mayor-butts/2021858/
https://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-ln-inglewood-police-shooting-20170221-story.html

This article says that the police claim to have seen a gun in the hand of a sleeping woman. Another article said that the gun was on her lap or inside her purse.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline DarkPhoenix

• Bishop
« Reply #3432 on: June 13, 2020, 02:44:10 pm »
The only way Trump can win is to make Biden look worse than him. Which he and the media are going to do a lot of the next five months.

Media NEEDS their horse race!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3433 on: June 15, 2020, 11:27:55 am »
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/us-supreme-court-lgbtq-1.5612327

Well, this is certainly interesting--and, as a matter of law, not a ruling I'm entirely certain I agree with.

(I think that LGBT people should be protected under civil rights legislation; I'm just not sure if, on principle, they are protected by the statute as written, or if it's a change that should be made legislatively.)

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #3434 on: June 20, 2020, 09:54:30 pm »
So Trump is pissed that his first campaign rally in Tulsa Oklahoma pulled in a crowd much lower than the 100,000 expected. So much so that his spill over crowd speech stage had nobody in attendance so he had to cancel it. Trump is of course blaming the media and the protests that are thirty minutes away from the arena.
I hope that this is a sign that Trump's message is losing it's steam with voters and it's a sign that his reelection bid could be in danger. It could also be that people are taking covid 19 way more seriously than Trump wants them to.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t