Author Topic: Can we just talk?  (Read 663 times)

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
  • Death to the False Emperor!
Can we just talk?
« on: May 03, 2019, 11:09:20 pm »
I'd say we're overdue for a conversation about board climate, as well as the rules and their enforcement. Honestly, I got a lot of stuff I wanna get off my chest. Because I'm not happy right now. Really not. To be real, I feel like I've been under attack for no good reason, and in violation of the rules. Still, I'll do my best to avoid picking fights with anyone in particular. My first priority is solutions.

So I've started this. I wanna talk things out with other members of this board, especially the mods. That's why I started this thread: to have open, constructive dialogue about the forums, and what individual members have experienced. I genuinely want to hear other peoples' perspectives, and I also want to share what I've been seeing and feeling.

Now, I'm not gonna claim I've acted perfectly. Some things I did weren't all that smart or good. And I'm perfectly willing to receive constructive criticism. But the focus should be on general trends and potential solutions, not on the conduct of any one user.

Before you reply, there's a reason I posted this here, and not in F&B. What I want is constructive conversation, not drama. I don't want a flame war, I want a round table discussion about this board.

Consider this an open invitation for any member of this board to participate. Anyone who has a meaningful contribution to make should feel welcome to join the conversation.

So let's all chill a bit and try to work it out.
Anti-authoritarian, anti-extremist, anti-bullshit.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Can we just talk?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 03:37:52 pm »
The fact you think you have enough pull to pull this off is laughable.

Ironbite-much rather roast your ass in Flame and Burn.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 04:05:12 am »
Is there anything specific or concrete?
Both in examples of you being mistreated in ways that break the rules and also anything you want to apologize for specifically?

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 12:28:22 am »
I think this should be in flame and burn.

Offline Art Vandelay

• Greatest Person to Ever Grace this Shitty Forum
  • Kakarot
  • Check Your Privilege
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 01:23:38 am »
I have deep seated anger issues stemming from my insecurities over my asymmetrical nipples.

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 01:45:23 pm »
Is there anything specific or concrete?
Both in examples of you being mistreated in ways that break the rules and also anything you want to apologize for specifically?

There are two things that come to mind right now.

The first is that some people keep accusing me of being a ban-dodger based on literally no evidence (besides maybe personal opinion). And since these allegations keep being made during arguments, I don't think they're making them in good faith. I think it's just them attacking me because it's easier than actually rebutting my points.

The other thing is people casting aspersions on my character and beliefs. Again, it's an attack on me, rather than my arguments. This flies directly in the face of the rules, which explicitly say not to do that.

My question is, what did I ever do to these people that they're treating me this way? And why haven't the mods stepped in and told them to knock it off?

Can I take a rain check on your apology question?

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 11:04:45 pm »
We had a member named Dynamic Dragon who got banned when caught making sock puppet accounts.  A few months later a new member joined who hadn't been very active on the mainsite, and used the same language and posting style and had the same political opinions.  Eventually he got banned too.  A few months later a new member joined who hadn't been very active on the mainsite, and used the same language and posting style and had the same political opinions.  Eventually she got banned too.  And now a few months later a new member joins who I don't think had been very active on the mainsite, and uses the same language and posting style and has the same political opinions.  No I can't prove you are all the same person but are you really going to tell me you don't see how this looks suspicious?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 01:44:04 am by Skybison »

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 11:21:02 pm »
I'm trying to figure out what the attraction is to keep coming back. I mean let's face it there are bigger groups on the internet.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 07:50:24 am »
He's just gotta be proven right!  After all, it's winning the debate that's what's important.

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 02:07:50 am »
We had a member named Dynamic Dragon who got banned when caught making sock puppet accounts.  A few months later a new member joined who hadn't been very active on the mainsite, and used the same language and posting style and had the same political opinions.  Eventually he got banned too.  A few months later a new member joined who hadn't been very active on the mainsite, and used the same language and posting style and had the same political opinions.  Eventually she got banned too.  And now a few months later a new member joins who I don't think had been very active on the mainsite, and uses the same language and posting style and has the same political opinions.  No I can't prove you are all the same person but are you really going to tell me you don't see how this looks suspicious?

First, I'd like to thank you for participating in good faith. And if what you say is true (not doubting your honesty, just hedging until I can confirm for myself), then I can see where you're coming from. There are three problems with this, though:

1. I have been using the main site. I just haven't bothered making an account yet.

2. How similar am I to them, really? AFAIK, none of you are professional analysts. There might also be some biases at play, affecting your judgment. And hell, even if we are objectively similar, what does that prove? I remember reading somewhere that encountering someone who looks like you isn't as remarkable as it might seem, since there's only so many different combinations of physical features a human can have. Wouldn't be surprised if the same principle applied mentally as well as physically.

3. Again, I don't think these allegations are being made in good faith, since they're generally brought up in the middle of disputes. I think people are just using them as ad hominem insults. Which is a direct violation of the "don't be a dick" rule. Just to be clear, I'm not talking about you. AFAIK, you haven't really done that. All I'm saying is some people seem to be just trying to undermine my credibility by insinuating I'm a ban-dodger. And for what? Just to score points in internet arguments?

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 01:07:29 pm »
2. How similar am I to them, really? AFAIK, none of you are professional analysts.

I am a professional analyst capable of rendering a positive identification with a reasonable degree of certainty.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 03:33:06 pm »
Boop.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 02:30:29 am »
A bit of  a give away that we've had this same conversation literally 3 or 4 times with the various incarnations. Also even the immensely loose unit that is Jacob picked CU as the anal paragon. I mean you really aren't trying as hard as you use to.

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 01:43:34 pm »
OK, I've read up a little on things, so I think I got more knowledge of what you're talking about.

2. How similar am I to them, really? AFAIK, none of you are professional analysts.

I am a professional analyst capable of rendering a positive identification with a reasonable degree of certainty.

Really? I've looked into your posting history, and you've stated multiple times that you're a lawyer. That's certainly not a job for an idiot, but it requires an entirely different skillset from an analyst.

'Sides, you're too biased in this case to make any kind of objective analysis.

A bit of  a give away that we've had this same conversation literally 3 or 4 times with the various incarnations. Also even the immensely loose unit that is Jacob picked CU as the anal paragon. I mean you really aren't trying as hard as you use to.

1. Considering one of those "incarnations" was never proven to be the same person as the other two, I'd say that says more about you guys than it does about anyone else.

2. Are you really using a guy who thought your "Nigerian prince" joke was a legit offer to back up your argument? That's the funniest thing I read all day! Do you also think Vatican II and the sexual revolution caused the Catholic Church's abuse crisis? What's your opinion on Braveheart? Should it be banned in England? Is Javier Solana the Antichrist?

While we're talking, you haven't addressed my bad faith accusation concerns. Until you do, I can only assume you're just saying I'm a sock to try and discredit my arguments. It doesn't help that you don't have any evidence besides personal opinion.

Now can we talk constructively? Please? Would it help if I put my cards on the table when it comes to my political positions?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 04:38:54 pm by Chaos Undivided »

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 04:56:16 pm »
No because we've all seen your cards.  You hold them facing out.

Ironbite-you're a centrist on a lefty message board bub and have 0 creditability in that regard.