Author Topic: Vatican uses charitable contributions to plug budget deficit  (Read 2278 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Vatican uses charitable contributions to plug budget deficit
« on: December 13, 2019, 11:16:05 am »
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-thursday-edition-1.5393994/only-10-of-pope-s-charitable-fund-goes-to-the-needy-wall-street-journal-1.5394339

Every year, there's a collection taken up in Catholic churches called "Peter's Pence", where churchgoers are asked to contribute to a fund to support the Pope's charitable endeavours.

However, an investigation by The Wall Street Journal has found that only around 10% of the money collected (around fifty million Euros) goes toward charitable endeavours. The rest goes to reduce the Vatican's budget deficit.

Nothing about this is illegal. The Pope can use the fund in any way that supports his charitable work--and since the Vatican's going bankrupt would put a crimp in said work, using the fund to reduce the deficit is certainly permitted.

But it's billed as going straight to charitable work, and so I hope that this story gets around, and people give less, and the Catholic Church gets financially strangled.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Vatican uses charitable contributions to plug budget deficit
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 07:17:29 pm »
Considering its been a giant scam for centuries, I'm not surprised.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.