Author Topic: Rand Paul: Audit the Pentagon  (Read 5538 times)

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
Re: Rand Paul: Audit the Pentagon
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 08:22:01 am »
How can a secret organisation like a spy agency or a defence department exist within a democracy? Obviously, it cannot be held accountable before law or before the public, is completely unelected and unaudited.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 08:32:14 am »
How can a secret organisation like a spy agency or a defence department exist within a democracy? Obviously, it cannot be held accountable before law or before the public, is completely unelected and unaudited.
Makes me suspect what Rand is getting at. That and the fact that his dad's "Audit the Fed" campaign is really an exercise to look for reasons to shut down the institution.

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 10:35:51 am »
Another pipe dream,

How about auditing discretionary spending? Or better yet, let me get ahead of the curve here, audit the auditors.

But the auditor auditors need to be held accountable, so let's hire an independent third party group which will audit the auditor auditors.

Somehow, it seems to sound better when you replace "auditor" with "police"
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?

Distind

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 11:07:50 am »
I'd be far less flippant if I thought he had a solid basis for the audits he's throwing out, but that'd be work and he's a politician.

That said, I'd love to have the chance to go over the military budget point by point and find out exactly where the money went. I'd be dead before I finished, but still.

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 03:46:49 pm »
At this point, I think that libertarians really like auditing things just for the sake of auditing them.

Is there anything that they wouldn't audit?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 03:49:51 pm »
At this point, I think that libertarians really like auditing things just for the sake of auditing them.

Is there anything that they wouldn't audit?

Themselves.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 04:16:31 pm »
Do you know what else would be fun? A giant conga line down the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2012, 11:40:00 pm »

At the same time, such organizations, and the secrecy that goes along with them, are necessary for the survival of any nation. So we do the best we can. The DOD and CIA are accountable to the President and to their respective congressional committees, who are of course elected officials.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2012, 07:46:47 pm »
inb4 everybody remembers this comment and forgets his rape comments.
The rape guy was Paul Ryan. This particular fellow is Rand Paul.
I can't keep track of why each individual (R) pisses me off.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_HVyoT2PgM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_HVyoT2PgM</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlunIcrr1Pk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlunIcrr1Pk</a>
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2012, 08:59:46 pm »
^^OK, that first one, the healthcare speech, was quite possibly the dumbest fucking thing I have ever heard.

Does this idiot really not understand the concept of Universal Healthcare?  Countries that have it don't "enslave" anyone, they simply pay for medical services out of a common public fund (or some other scheme).  I'm pretty sure that physicians and nurses in those countries don't walk around in chains.

(Never mind the fact that many healthcare workers in the "free market" USA, including doctors, work insane hours for pay which is often quite low.)
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2012, 10:22:37 pm »

At the same time, such organizations, and the secrecy that goes along with them, are necessary for the survival of any nation. So we do the best we can. The DOD and CIA are accountable to the President and to their respective congressional committees, who are of course elected officials.

It's the paradox of Democracy.

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2012, 09:31:42 pm »

That's an interesting thought, Fred. I thought about it for a while and I'd like to share with you what I came up with.

The United States isn't a democracy. Lots of people think it is, but those people are mistaken. No, the Land of the Free actually operates a Republic style government. So your question, as good as it is, is purely rhetorical. A very fun mental exercise. But at the end of the day, it's little more than that.

ETA: After rereading that, it came out a bit snarky. That wasn't my intention, please believe me.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 09:33:46 pm by rookie »
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2012, 01:45:58 am »
We audit the government departments every year and all that happens is that the auditor general makes his report about all the departments that are stealing the public's money (just about all of them) at which point nothing happens. Auditing is all good and well but you actually need people to act on the information from those audits which I highly doubt will happen in any country. Government audits are a cute way of looking like government is being held accountable when in actual fact nothing is changing or happening.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2012, 08:08:54 am »

That's an interesting thought, Fred. I thought about it for a while and I'd like to share with you what I came up with.

The United States isn't a democracy. Lots of people think it is, but those people are mistaken. No, the Land of the Free actually operates a Republic style government.

They're literally identical forms of government. A Republic is any form of government without a monarchy, and a democracy is a specific form of government without a monarchy*. Are not the representatives in a 'Republic' elected?

* in charge.

-FDR

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2012, 10:37:11 am »
They're not identical. Cousins is how I'd word it. In a democracy, the people vote on legislation. In a republic, representatives vote on the legislation.

Yes, we vote for our representatives. That would make it a democratic republic. Democratic here would be the adjective describing republic. What kind of republic? A democratic one.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.