Author Topic: Video gaming witch hunt in CT after shooting  (Read 8649 times)

Offline Whore of Spamylon

• Bishop
Re: Video gaming witch hunt in CT after shooting
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 09:10:13 pm »
I wonder how much the gift certificates are worth.  One can easily load up on four dollar used PS2 games from Amazon, in which it could be a better alternative to Gamestop (not that being a better alternative to Gamestop is that hard to do).

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” - William Gibson

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 09:50:00 pm »
Bunch of superstitious idiots. They're just looking for something to blame for what happened, which is, as always, a fool's errand.

Its been proven time and again that violent videogames do not do what they think they do.

Why, oh why, do these stupid people exist?
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 11:28:37 pm »
My goodness, I love how people like to shoot at easy targets rather than tackling real issues.
Yeah... Sorry.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 11:44:37 pm »
I can't say I'm surprised to see this level of fucktardism, however much I wish I could. It's happened in just about every major shooting since Columbine. And quite frankly, I consider it an insult to the deceased. Instead of working to do justice by the dead by working to solve the problems, they fall back on scapegoats and do nothing to solve the problems.

I used to put myself into a rage whenever I saw crap like this. Now,  it's diminished to wishing I could deal a Bright Slap from my PC.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline ScrappyB

• Bishop
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 02:45:33 am »
Did Adam Lanza even play violent video games?

Video games are a popular entertainment. At this point it would be difficult to find anyone in his age group that hadn't played violent games at one point or another.
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 05:10:14 am »
If you ever wonder what they demonised before video games and even before rock 'n' roll, I remember seeing a Rocketboom vlog that there was once a purge in NYC of...wait for it...pinball machines.

I.
Shit.
You.
Not.

Offline ScrappyB

• Bishop
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2013, 05:41:44 am »
Yes, pinball was illegal there from around the time of prohibition up until the late 70s as I recall.

It's always the new media that gets demonized. I remember reading a bunch of writing from the 1800s someone put up on a web page, but I'll be damned if I can find it now. The subject was how reading novels rotted peoples' brains. Yes, at one time they thought reading fiction was bad for you.
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2013, 02:58:32 pm »
Yes, pinball was illegal there from around the time of prohibition up until the late 70s as I recall.

It's always the new media that gets demonized. I remember reading a bunch of writing from the 1800s someone put up on a web page, but I'll be damned if I can find it now. The subject was how reading novels rotted peoples' brains. Yes, at one time they thought reading fiction was bad for you.

The work of some classical composers too had the same "this will corrupt our youth and destroy society" type of reaction from some people that violent games and movies get now.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2013, 03:54:18 pm »
Also looked at the banned book list.  Like the Crucible is banned in many areas. 

Offline Atheissimo

• Bishop
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2013, 04:46:57 pm »

The work of some classical composers too had the same "this will corrupt our youth and destroy society" type of reaction from some people that violent games and movies get now.

'So long as this obscene display was confined to prostitutes and adulteresses, we did not think it deserving of notice; but now that it is attempted to be forced on the respectable classes of society by the civil examples of their superiors, we feel it a duty to warn every parent against exposing his daughter to so fatal a contagion'

This was an early description of the Waltz, introduced as a dance in the late 1700s

'You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched Star Trek? Good Lord.' - Sir Patrick Stewart

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2013, 09:56:24 pm »

Plato thought any writing would do that.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2013, 10:19:52 pm »
ATrue

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2013, 10:24:28 pm »
They're giving you a $25 gift certificate in exchange for a game? If I were nearby (assuming the gift certificate is for something I'd want), I'd bring them a crappy $5 bargain bin game. A $20 saving is really nothing to sneeze at, especially if it's at the expense of morons.

That's a fucking brilliant idea
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2013, 12:08:57 am »
This frankly doesn't even surprise me at all anymore.  I just shake my head and move on at this point because I know nothing in the world will keep these people from demonizing games.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Art Vandelay

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2013, 01:27:19 am »
This frankly doesn't even surprise me at all anymore.  I just shake my head and move on at this point because I know nothing in the world will keep these people from demonizing games.
I imagine enough time and a new form of media for them to blame for society's ills ought to do it.