Author Topic: Man arrested for tricking girlfriend into taking abortion pill  (Read 9936 times)

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
Re: Man arrested for tricking girlfriend into taking abortion pill
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 06:54:11 am »
YOU SOLD HER BABY EARS FOR 75 DOLLARS! I DAMN YOU TO HELL? Bet you won't get that reference.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVlkZVAw8Gc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVlkZVAw8Gc</a>
Easy. Chick Tract. And then you referenced the Chick Tracts Narm page on TV Tropes.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 10:11:55 am »
It stops being a "clump of cells" the moment the mother decides she is going through with the pregnancy.
A woman's choice is just that.  HER choice.  I'm sorry that this guy didn't want to be a father.  But if we are pro-choice we have to be totally pro-choice.
He is a scum bag.  She is a bit stupid.  But scumbag is much much worse.
I do agree that murder charge is a bit OTT.  But he needs to face some kind of criminal charges.

Emotionally, perhaps, but physically, it's still not even close to being a baby at that point.

That said, this guy is an asshole for doing this and deserves some jailtime. Just nowhere near a life sentence.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

wrightway

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 10:16:29 am »
He could be charged with attempted murder on the girlfriend. While the abortion pill is relatively safe, there are a few side effects that can result in maternal mortality.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 10:18:21 am »
I don't think he could be charged with that, given his intent.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2013, 10:18:32 am »
Couple years in prison plus some heavy, heavy fucking fines.  What he did was cruel, callous, and unjust, but not murder and not deserving of a life term in prison.  Besides, he doesn't even need one: the publicity he'll get from this will eradicate most of his life as it is, he needs little extra help in that regard.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2013, 10:22:37 am »
He could be charged with attempted murder on the girlfriend. While the abortion pill is relatively safe, there are a few side effects that can result in maternal mortality.
I'd imagine that, since even using rohypnol on someone doesn't get you an attempted murder charge, he can't get that.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2013, 10:23:16 am »
Couple years in prison plus some heavy, heavy fucking fines.  What he did was cruel, callous, and unjust, but not murder and not deserving of a life term in prison.  Besides, he doesn't even need one: the publicity he'll get from this will eradicate most of his life as it is, he needs little extra help in that regard.
And yeah. Let him take himself out of the world. No employer will hire him after a google search.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2013, 02:04:57 pm »
Prison, yes.  But a murder charge is idiotic.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2013, 03:24:39 pm »

Where's the mens rea?
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2013, 04:08:54 pm »
Charging him with murder is bullshit, but he should definitely be charged with assault, and also with illegal possession and use of prescription drugs (pretty sure getting prescription drugs you aren't entitled to is a crime)
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

wrightway

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2013, 04:11:28 pm »

Where's the mens rea?

True. It would have been more manslaughter if something had happened to her.

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2013, 04:14:56 pm »
Yeah, he didn't intend to kill her, just the fetus, and like you said, those pills aren't particularly dangerous anyway, if she HAD died there'd be a case for manslaughter, but as is the most he can reasonably be charged with is assault.
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2013, 02:57:51 am »

Where's the mens rea?

Even then the case is thin. A reasonable person would not be concerned that serious harm could be done by an FDA-approved drug.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2013, 03:28:08 am »
Here's the irony. I listed the charges. Absolutely none of them are actually about giving her it. Without the first degree murder charge, they likely would have no crime.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2013, 04:04:35 am »

Where's the mens rea?

Even then the case is thin. A reasonable person would not be concerned that serious harm could be done by an FDA-approved drug.
I'm gonna say no to that. Prescription medicine is not given without said prescription and instructions for its use for a reason. In fact even getting said prescription requires that a medical professional conciders the case and carefully decides the proper medicine and dosage.

For example, medicines for heart failure are prescription drugs and even though they may keep someone with a failing heart alive if I took some of those pills and put a random amount of them into my wife's morning tea she could die from it or at least require medical attention. Simply because a medicine is approved it does not mean that any lay person can choose when and how much to take them. (Besides, IIRC "abortion pills" and morning after pills can have some conciderable side effects.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!