Author Topic: And she's off! Hilary Clinton announces her intentions to run.  (Read 11806 times)

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
Re: And she's off! Hilary Clinton announces her intentions to run.
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2015, 07:31:20 pm »
I just know that I don't want to vote for her. Not for political reasons as much as for the fact that I do not want to see presidential dynasties start to take shape. "And as people head to the polls for the 2056 presidential elections, one question is on everyone's mind: Who will be our next president, Bush or Clinton?"

Of course, I'm a registered independent which means that come primary season I get to stay home and eat an all American dinner of tacos and burritos. Fuck you, Oklahoma for not having a third party presidential candidate slot for me to vote for.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2015, 07:38:46 pm »
I'll vote for Hillary Clinton assuming the 2016 election is still relevant to me.

By which I mean that I'm taking a summer job in Canada this year that I can hopefully turn into something more permanent, and if I'm still living in Canada next year I'm not sure how much the next American election will actually matter to me.

::)

You really have no idea how important America's well being is to Canada's well being.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2015, 09:37:48 am »
Fair enough. American military and foreign policy definitely have a lot of influence on the world stage.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2015, 09:54:42 am »
Fair enough. American military and foreign policy definitely have a lot of influence on the world stage.

It's not that with respect to Canada; it's economics. There's so much trade between the two countries that a hit to the US's economy will necessarily affect Canada's, as will US protectionist policies.

It's actually better for Canada when Republicans are running things in the States, because whatever else you might say about them, they (at least the non-insane ones) tend more towards free trade than Democratic politicians.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2015, 10:18:23 am »
Quote from: LtFred link=topic=6413wsg26 6254#msg26625 4 dat e=1428914440
What sort of working political system could you devise that would elect an executive?

Can you explain that a bit?

Something else just occurred to me. The whole Hillary '16 thing reminded me of something, some sort of feeling like I've seen this before. Where she was the presumptive nominee, that the party's nomination was hers to lose. Why does that sound familiar?

The US system has a separately elected executive, which, I think, is a good move (in my political system, legislature and executive are the same, which is silly). But the US voting system is silly. Could there be one that isn't?
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2015, 12:17:24 pm »
I'm sure as hell not ready for another Clinton's shady business dealings.

@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2015, 08:05:44 pm »
What sort of working political system could you devise that would elect an executive?

Something else just occurred to me. The whole Hillary '16 thing reminded me of something, some sort of feeling like I've seen this before. Where she was the presumptive nominee, that the party's nomination was hers to lose. Why does that sound familiar?

The US system has a separately elected executive, which, I think, is a good move (in my political system, legislature and executive are the same, which is silly). But the US voting system is silly. Could there be one that isn't?

What aspects of it do you find objectionable? The electoral college? That it's first-past-the-post?

(Specifying what exactly you find silly is important. Arrow's theorem implies that, for sufficiently broad values of "silly" there cannot be a non-silly voting system)
Σא

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2015, 11:06:17 pm »
I really don't understand why the United States hasn't switched to electing the president by direct popular vote. At the very least, we should do what a couple of states have introduced and spilt the electoral votes so that a small lead in one state doesn't give a candidate the entire state.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2015, 12:26:41 am »
I really don't understand why the United States hasn't switched to electing the president by direct popular vote. At the very least, we should do what a couple of states have introduced and spilt the electoral votes so that a small lead in one state doesn't give a candidate the entire state.

For the second point, the way Maine and Nebraska do things is that they allocate by congressional seat, so 2 electoral votes will go to the statewide winner anyway (they represent the Senate seats), and the House seats, in many states, are gerrymandered all to heck anyway. I think someone actually did the math on this with the 2004 Presidential election and found that because of all the gerrymandering Bush would have received even more electoral votes than he did with the system currently in place.

Electing the Preisdent by direct popular vote would require a constitutional amendment, and that's not likely even to pass Congress. Right now, the parties can focus their advertising on the battleground states. If the President were elected by direct popular vote, that money would either be spread much more thinly (since then the parties would have to advertise in currently safe states like California, Texas and New York), or much more would have to be spent.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2015, 07:26:06 am »

What aspects of it do you find objectionable? The electoral college? That it's first-past-the-post?

It's a two party system. Now, that's very easy to remedy at the Congressional level - simply close down the Senate, and elect the House through state-wide proportional representation; the entire state becomes an electorate, and you elect a number of congresspeople corresponding to state population. If the Yellow Party gets 8% of the vote, they get 8% of the congresspeople instead of, in the current system, 0%. Do that and you have a decent voting system.

But how do you develop a non-idiotic voting system when ultimately you elect only one person?
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Art Vandelay

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2015, 07:26:20 am »

Let the poo flinging commence.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2015, 08:24:05 am »
Trump implies the Presidency functions as a "Whore-in-Chief". Sounds about right.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2015, 08:39:24 am »

Stay classy Donald.

... so how satisfied are the people you answer to, Mr. chief executive?

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2015, 09:01:22 am »

Should have charged your phone up by about 40 percent.

Behold: the already idiotic nominee without a rather tight leash- or the "Nuge effect", if you will.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2015, 10:31:19 am »

It's a two party system. Now, that's very easy to remedy at the Congressional level - simply close down the Senate, and elect the House through state-wide proportional representation; the entire state becomes an electorate, and you elect a number of congresspeople corresponding to state population. If the Yellow Party gets 8% of the vote, they get 8% of the congresspeople instead of, in the current system, 0%. Do that and you have a decent voting system.

But how do you develop a non-idiotic voting system when ultimately you elect only one person?

I find the system you propose here idiotic because how do you get rid of a bad lawmaker who has large amounts of influence within his or her chosen party? If there are, say, twenty-five seats to be allocated, and the Yellow Party gets two of them, how can the general electorate--or even those voters who voted for the Yellow Party--ensure that those two seats to go people who aren't bad? Also, how can independent candidates get elected in this system? And further, if this is being done state-by-state, this system still has the issue of reducing to an "idiotic" system in a state with only one House seat (of which there are currently seven), and nearly so in states with very few representatives.