Author Topic: Video Game Logic  (Read 45008 times)

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
Re: Video Game Logic
« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2012, 08:37:43 pm »
And, by extension, arrows are by far the worst weapon you can possibly use. You might as well be flicking popcorn at the enemy.

Neverwinter Nights has a whole prestige class dedicated to making archers not suck balls (Arcane Archer). Archery is actually preferable for (stealthy) characters who don't have many hit points, which lets them make deadly hit-and-run attacks.

Neverwinter Nights II, on the other hand, fucked over archers royally because of a bug that means every ranged attack you make on an enemy draws aggro, even if there's like ten tanks standing around the enemy hacking him to pieces. So you can only get like one or two shots in before you 1) run for your life or 2) pull out your backup melee weapon, which you probably should have been using in the first place.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2012, 10:03:26 pm »
And after all that, they never even ask for the book back. At least in Skyrim the guards would confiscate your stolen goods. (Although now that I think about it, why in the holy fuck am I labeling my stolen goods as stolen goods in the first place?)

This, sooo hard.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2012, 12:51:25 am »
And, by extension, arrows are by far the worst weapon you can possibly use. You might as well be flicking popcorn at the enemy.

Well if it's stale popcorn...

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2012, 07:09:55 am »
Meanwhile, in Skyrim...

"I just shot a dragon in the tail twice with an arrow while sneaking.  And he died."
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2012, 07:13:53 am »
Been playing Kingdom of Amalur recently, and I've noticed something AGAIN that has bugged me in nearly every fantasy game I've ever played.

I steal something utterly worthless like a book or something, and the entire goddamn town instantly turns hostile, everyone attacks me, and the guards run up and try to kill me. If I refuse to fight back, the guards will, after a few seconds, stop and try to arrest me. I can now pay a fine....of SEVEN THOUSAND GOLD. So, I steal a book, by some weird telepathy everyone instantly knows I stole the book, and they all instantly forget all their plot-driven squabbles and conflicts to band together like a trio of Italian sisters when one of them gets picked on at school. And when is all said and done I have to pay a fine for my horrible crime of enough gold to buy half the damn town.

And after all that, they never even ask for the book back. At least in Skyrim the guards would confiscate your stolen goods. (Although now that I think about it, why in the holy fuck am I labeling my stolen goods as stolen goods in the first place?)

Least the town you were in HAD guards...

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2012, 09:32:43 am »
Meanwhile, in Skyrim...

"I just shot a dragon in the tail twice with an arrow while sneaking.  And he died."

Once you run out of hitpoints you die no matter where you were hit. On the other hand you can survive a bullet to the head if you still have hp. It gets even worse in games like Soldier of fortune where the enemies actually have different hit regions and they even react differently based on where they are wounded, but the player is just a floating hitbox.

Sure the enemies will get crippled but the player will keep on running/floating at full speed untill he loses his last hp. And then suffers immediate and critical existence failure.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline shadowpanther

• Sod it, this'll do.
  • Bishop
  • FOR SCIENCE!
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2012, 10:21:07 am »
Meanwhile, in Skyrim...

Bitch please. I bopped one on the nose with a shield and it died.
Fight Spam! Click Here!
"Kick logic to the curb and do the impossible!"- Kamina, Gurren Lagann.

"Telling someone they know a lot is like telling a man with a few grains of sand clinging to him that he possess much sand."-Stephen Fry

They say an Englishman's home is his castle; which is handy as my home IS a castle and I LAUGH from the top of the turrets.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2012, 02:28:48 pm »
Meanwhile, in Skyrim...

Bitch please. I bopped one on the nose with a shield and it died.

My henchman threw a tiny rock at one and it died. (It was a sling, which has bullet ammo. It's a very weak weapon, but it's the only ranged weapon that can be used with a shield.)
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2012, 03:04:27 pm »
Yeah, Critical Existence Failure is such an overused trope that lately, you actually kinda take it for granted.

I mean, hell, in chugga's Majora's Mask Let's Play, he killed TWO bosses by hitting them in the toe with his sword.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2012, 03:16:58 pm »
I killed the boss "Leonard" in Silent Hill 3 by repeatedly stomping him in the crotch. 

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2012, 04:04:53 pm »
Earthquake type attacks can affect any and all flying monsters. While flying, mind.

&

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2012, 04:27:23 pm »
I don't think they do in FF games... at least I don't remember them doing so.  'Tis why float is so useful when going against a boss/monster that spams Quake.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2012, 04:28:32 pm »
They do in Amalur!

&

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2012, 04:34:12 pm »
Never had the pleasure, I'm afraid.... or displeasure?

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2012, 05:54:26 pm »
In the early generations at least, Earthquake kills Zapdos because it is an Electric type.  Even though it is a bird.  Even though it is assumed to be flying.

WAT.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!